Showing posts with label long distance information. Show all posts
Showing posts with label long distance information. Show all posts

Monday, August 17, 2026

Burnham exchanged messages with individual impersonating Trump chief of staff

 

Burnham exchanged messages with individual impersonating Trump chief of staff

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2026/aug/17/andy-burnham-exchanged-messages-individual-impersonating-trump-chief-of-staff-susie-wiles 

Burnham and Wiles composite
It is unclear what was discussed between Burnham and the person purporting to be Susie Wiles (right). Composite: James Manning/PA Wire/Alex Brandon/AP Photo

Burnham exchanged messages with individual impersonating Trump chief of staff

Prime minister was in contact with unknown person pretending to be senior White House aide Susie Wiles, it is understood

Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone impersonating Donald Trump’s chief of staff, the Guardian understands.

The prime minister was in contact with an unknown individual pretending to be the senior White House aide Susie Wiles before concerns were raised about the incident. No messages of significance were sent and the suspicious activity was quickly reported to the appropriate authorities, it is understood.

The British embassy in Washington was so concerned it raised the matter with the White House, according to Politico, which first reported the exchange. A UK government spokesperson said: “We do not comment on national security matters.”

Last year, the Wall Street Journal reported that the FBI had launched an investigation into efforts to access Wiles’s phone after an unknown person pretending to be her contacted prominent Republicans and business chiefs.

It is unclear when the messages were sent and what was discussed between Burnham, who succeeded Keir Starmer in Downing Street on 20 July, and the impersonator.

There have been security concerns related to Trump’s White House, with the president’s personal phone number common knowledge among reporters covering US politics.

In December 2025, a US defence department report concluded Trump’s defence secretary, Pete Hegseth, had endangered the lives of US service personnel when he discussed details of a military operation with fellow senior US officials in a group chat to which a journalist had been added.

According to a source, Hegseth violated departmental policies when he shared secret information in a Signal messaging chat. The chat was disclosed after the then national security adviser, Mike Waltz, added a journalist for the Atlantic, having saved his number under someone else’s name. Besides Waltz and Hegseth, the group also included the vice-president, JD Vance, and the CIA director, John Ratcliffe.

The source said the report by the inspector general, the internal investigative agency for the department, found the information Hegseth distributed was secret and could have put US troops in danger if it had been intercepted by an enemy force.

skip past newsletter promotion

In March, citing multiple anonymous sources the Guardian has not been able to verify, the Atlantic reported that the White House had been told Trump’s contact details had been offered for sale to people seeking influence. “It’s honestly just wild,” one of them told the outlet. “I’ve heard of CEOs offering money for his number. I’ve heard of crypto bros offering cryptocurrency for it.”

Campaigns like this fund our work: can you help?
10,286 of 20,000 acts of support

Consider us impressed

Nice: you just finished reading article

the past year. It seems you really value our work. We really value you too.

We couldn’t help but notice though that while you’re a loyal Guardian reader, you’re not a recent supporter. (As you likely know, we are reader-funded. No billionaires behind the scenes here!) With dedicated people like you who haven’t contributed yet or recently, we often find one of two things are going on.

First: perhaps you simply don’t have anything to spare right now. If that's the case, we want you to know: we value your readership as much as those who can contribute, and please keep reading, as much as you like, forever. One of the wonderful values shared by Guardian readers around the globe is a desire to ease the burden for others. So ignore these appeals: our community of supporters has your back.

But if you can afford to spare something, here’s what we also know: most likely you’ve thought about giving, but for whatever perfectly human reason, you haven’t got round to it yet. So perhaps today is the day? We know – you’ve finished reading what you came to read, and you have other things to get on with. But we promise it’s quick, and even more: we promise it matters.

We survive entirely because people like you decide to respond to messages like this.

While all support is gratefully received, and even $5 helps, please consider a monthly contribution: it takes less than a minute to set up, and it’s the best way to make the biggest impact – helping sustain our fearless, independent journalism for the long haul. We’re not going anywhere; we hope you’ll stick with us too. Thank you for helping protect the non-billionaire-owned press.

Recommended

More on this story

  • Chinese super-embassy in London to go ahead after high court challenge dismissed

  • Starmer warns Burnham he cannot spend less time on diplomacy

  • Diplomat who abruptly left Washington embassy was honoured by the king

  • British Council staff in Italy to strike over proposed 80% workforce cut

  • Shadow of Iraq war lies over Westminster as MPs consider US-Israeli attack on Iran

  • Love, actually? Starmer’s ‘keep calm’ approach to Trump comes under strain

  • British diplomat expelled from Russia after ‘baseless’ accusation of being a spy

  • Starmer delivers masterclass in hedging his bets after Venezuela raid

More from News

  • US-Israel war on Iran
    Donald Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ of ending Iran war

  • US politics live
    Top Democrat slams Trump’s ‘inane, haphazard’ cuts to US-South Korea drills

  • E Jean Carroll
    US supreme court again rejects Trump’s bid to overturn E Jean Carroll verdict

  • Trump administration
    Alzheimer’s research is latest casualty in Trump administration war against ‘DEI’

  • Russia
    Senior Russian banker fired after scathing speech on wartime economy

  • US crime
    Louisiana man allegedly killed his wife and drove her body across states before arrest

  • Business
    Leading economies’ borrowing costs hit highest since 2008 crisis

  • US immigration
    British Muslim student with valid visa refused entry to US after 23-hour detention

  • Film
    Hayden Panettiere, actor in Heroes and Nashville, dies aged 36