Charges Dropped Against Uganda Lesbians Who Kissed In Public | Gay USA 7/22/2026
Charges Dropped Against Uganda Lesbians Who Kissed In Public | Gay USA 7/22/2026
This Week on Gay USA:
Ann Northrop with guest co-host Cathey Marino-Thomas
- Defense Secretary Hegseth pushes testosterone for the troops.
- Heritage Foundation wants to defund women’s sports.
- Trump has new get rich scheme for himself.
- Minnesota rejects 44 anti-trans bills.
- Psychologist, author Walt Odets dies.
- Barry Manilow back on stage in Las Vegas after lung cancer surgery.
Explore the podcast
740 episodes
Gay USA
Free Speech TV
Transcript
Follow along using the transcript
0:00
0 seconds
[music]0:04
4 seconds
And we have to really escalate the noise we make so that we'll be heard.0:15
15 seconds
[music]0:30
30 seconds
Hello everyone. Welcome to Gay USA. I'm Anne Northrup and I'm Kathy Marino Thomas. Thank you for having me.0:37
37 seconds
Sitting in for the vacationing Andy Hum.0:41
41 seconds
I hesitate to say that because he's still working on vacation and helping out with everything he's doing.0:46
46 seconds
I was going to say, do I get more than 20 emails from him when he's not [laughter] on vacation?0:51
51 seconds
Uh it's uh he's great and he'll be back next week and we'll he and I will be doing my farewell show for Gay USA after1:00
1 minute
30 years. Uh this is my last show with you an1:04
1 minute, 4 seconds
[laughter]1:04
1 minute, 4 seconds
Well,
you never can tell. We're not predicting the future. But I'll start
with the reason I'm leaving the show. I made mistakes last week. So I
have a1:14
1 minute, 14 seconds
couple of uh corrections. It's clearly a sign that I've been here long enough. A couple of big ones. I said that uh New1:21
1 minute, 21 seconds
Hampshire Governor Kelly AayOT had uh signed an anti-trans bill after vetoing three others, but it turned out she1:30
1 minute, 30 seconds
vetoed that one, too. So, she vetoed four anti-trans bills because they're not anti-trans enough.1:38
1 minute, 38 seconds
Well,
I don't think that's it. She did say bring me a better one, but I think
what she means is something more reasonable, but she hasn't defined
what1:46
1 minute, 46 seconds
it is. So, we will continue to wait to see. But my apologies for saying that she had signed this one. She did not. Uh1:54
1 minute, 54 seconds
that's correction number one. Correction number two is that I said the legendary writer Lucian Truscott IVth was gay.2:03
2 minutes, 3 seconds
Now, as Andy and I often say, there's nothing wrong with calling someone gay, whether they are or not, but he's not.2:10
2 minutes, 10 seconds
So, my apologies for being mistaken.2:13
2 minutes, 13 seconds
Lucian Truscott IV is a wonderful, wonderful writer. uh but not gay. Uh2:20
2 minutes, 20 seconds
he's a far as I know satisfied, happy straight man and we are great admirers of his but2:27
2 minutes, 27 seconds
I apologize for that mistake. I also said that Andy was a big fan of Heartstopppers and he said he wrote me a2:35
2 minutes, 35 seconds
note
and said well actually I didn't like the second season that much
[laughter] so I don't know how I'll feel about the movie. So, my advice
is for2:44
2 minutes, 44 seconds
you Heartstoppper fans, watch Sex Education. I think it's on Netflix. It's2:50
2 minutes, 50 seconds
a a British series with Jillian Anderson as a a mother who's a sex educator and2:58
2 minutes, 58 seconds
all these high school kids. It's a wonderful series. Have you seen it? I have not. Sex education. Watch it. Wrote it down.3:05
3 minutes, 5 seconds
Okay. And I also just want to take a minute as I am winding up my uh tenure on this show to thank uh the viewers who3:14
3 minutes, 14 seconds
have sent us so many wonderful uh funny things, one of which we're going to show this week and news stories and have3:21
3 minutes, 21 seconds
helped support this show with donations and uh they've written me some great notes in the last few weeks since I3:29
3 minutes, 29 seconds
announced I was leaving. One guy came up to me at the uh drag march a couple of weeks ago, Richard. I'm not going to3:36
3 minutes, 36 seconds
give his last name, but uh he handed me a note and a gift. And I was very, very3:43
3 minutes, 43 seconds
touched
and moved. And I just am so thrilled with all the people I've met doing
this show, one of whom I'm having lunch with tomorrow.3:52
3 minutes, 52 seconds
So nice.3:53
3 minutes, 53 seconds
And
[laughter] I love us as a community. Exactly. Uh, and I just urge you
to keep supporting GayUSA because Andy will be here with4:02
4 minutes, 2 seconds
Kathy and other co-hosts and the show needs to continue in these horrible days. And so, please keep supporting Gay USA.4:12
4 minutes, 12 seconds
That's
it. All right. This week's show headlines. Uh, Pete Hegsth, you may
have heard, is pushing testosterone. He's a drug dealer.4:21
4 minutes, 21 seconds
I love this story. [laughter] Uh meanwh is going to do genetic testing of all its players and the Heritage Foundation4:30
4 minutes, 30 seconds
would like to wipe out all major women's sports.4:35
4 minutes, 35 seconds
Stephven Miller and Marco Rubio claim all Democrats are communist enemies of civilization.4:41
4 minutes, 41 seconds
I communist enemy.4:45
4 minutes, 45 seconds
Yeah, it leaves me speechless almost. And [laughter]4:52
4 minutes, 52 seconds
meanwhile, here's my favorite little uh uh wh [snorts] you know detailed inside story. Trump is going to get richer by5:01
5 minutes, 1 second
selling early access to his tweets. It's uh there's a whole book about this. And he I I knew this was going to happen.5:10
5 minutes, 10 seconds
He's suing Eene Carol to return the $5 million he's been paying her. But at least he was booed at the World Cup.5:19
5 minutes, 19 seconds
Hilarious.5:19
5 minutes, 19 seconds
Yeah. [snorts] Minnesota legislator legislature rejects all 44 anti-trans bills.5:27
5 minutes, 27 seconds
Yay. Uh sad to see that legendary psychologist and author Walt Odettes uh died at age 79.5:36
5 minutes, 36 seconds
The Netherlands Health Council endorses trans care for youth. Yay.5:40
5 minutes, 40 seconds
He gave me all the positives. [laughter] Just worked out that way. And Barry Manalo, after lung cancer surgery, is5:49
5 minutes, 49 seconds
back on stage in Las Vegas. Good for Barry. Good for Barry.5:53
5 minutes, 53 seconds
All right, Pete Haggsth. Is there no end to his stupidity?5:57
5 minutes, 57 seconds
Apparently not. [laughter] Somebody pour that man a drink.6:02
6 minutes, 2 seconds
Well, you know, he's on this manliness kick and war fighters and all this garbage. So he has announced that uh all6:11
6 minutes, 11 seconds
troops
are going to be tested for testosterone, men and women, because women
do have testosterone too in much lower levels, but they have an an ideal6:20
6 minutes, 20 seconds
testosterone level. So he's going to test everyone and then offer uh testosterone treatment to those who want it.6:29
6 minutes, 29 seconds
Wait a minute. Is he offering gender affirming care?6:32
6 minutes, 32 seconds
Yes. [laughter] I love it. The hypocrisy never fails to shock me. Well, [snorts] the it's true.6:39
6 minutes, 39 seconds
The only people who can't get uh testosterone these days in the military are trans troops. That's it.6:45
6 minutes, 45 seconds
Uh because he claims that the military can't handle treatment of uh soldiers who are in the6:54
6 minutes, 54 seconds
field or whatever. Well, that's exactly what he's offering here.6:58
6 minutes, 58 seconds
And if you read the comments by doctors and scientists on this, they will tell you that a it's useless to test for7:05
7 minutes, 5 seconds
testosterone because the levels vary daytoday, hour to hour. You have to do7:12
7 minutes, 12 seconds
extensive testing over a period of time and you're certainly not going to be able to do that with uh hundreds of people.7:19
7 minutes, 19 seconds
What you're asking for is science, an [laughter] science? They don't believe in science.7:25
7 minutes, 25 seconds
Silly me. Now they just want to shoot them up with testosterone. Correct.7:29
7 minutes, 29 seconds
Well, you know, Hitler gave his troops amphetamines to get them to fight. Yeah. And this makes about as much sense.7:36
7 minutes, 36 seconds
Exactly. So, that's that's just insane.7:39
7 minutes, 39 seconds
So, Becca Balant, the lesbian uh congresswoman from Vermont, had something to say about this. Let's listen to her.7:48
7 minutes, 48 seconds
I've been thinking about this a lot.7:50
7 minutes, 50 seconds
This is a man who says he doesn't support gender affirming care.7:57
7 minutes, 57 seconds
encouraging men in the military to get um more testosterone uh hormone replacement therapy is gender8:06
8 minutes, 6 seconds
affirming care, but it I think is indicative of the fact that there are so many people in this8:13
8 minutes, 13 seconds
administration that have some weird like intense homoerotic8:20
8 minutes, 20 seconds
um feelings towards men while also being incredibly homophobic and not just8:28
8 minutes, 28 seconds
homophobic
but like hatemongering, fear-mongering about the LGBTQ community. So,
let me be clear. I don't think the homoeroticism is the weird8:36
8 minutes, 36 seconds
part. The weird part is that they pretend that that's not what it's about.8:42
8 minutes, 42 seconds
And so, Pete Hex is like the the example of this like the manly manly rugged8:49
8 minutes, 49 seconds
macho man. And it's like I don't know if you know who Tom of Finland is. Tom of Finland. Okay. This is this is uh gay8:58
8 minutes, 58 seconds
male porn that was drawn by by a man and and like Pete Hex is the embodiment of that. So I feel like they must be9:06
9 minutes, 6 seconds
looking at that as like their their um their uh example for what men look like.9:15
9 minutes, 15 seconds
And in terms of like not promoting women, like we know what this is all about. Um, the military, whether you9:23
9 minutes, 23 seconds
support the military-industrial conflicts or not, it has always been merit-based. The people who are the best9:30
9 minutes, 30 seconds
of the best, rise to the top. And so, the fact that he has systematically been keeping down women and people of color9:38
9 minutes, 38 seconds
uh, gives up the whole game. It's actually not about a marbay system anymore.9:43
9 minutes, 43 seconds
So
true. And yes, there is [applause] Pete Hegsth in his favorite pose
with a Tom of Finland picture. The resemblance is just striking.9:54
9 minutes, 54 seconds
But the other [clears throat] thing this reminds me of is do you ever see Doctor Strange Love? Oh yes.9:59
9 minutes, 59 seconds
And the discussion uh the general who was obsessed with bodily fluids. Yeah. Same difference. Yeah. Exactly. Same story.10:07
10 minutes, 7 seconds
Same difference. Meanwhile, the Heritage Foundation, which is uh, as you know, the author of10:14
10 minutes, 14 seconds
Project 2025, which the administration now brags in a year and a half, they have accomplished half of the agenda of10:22
10 minutes, 22 seconds
Project 2025. And that was a 900page Yeah. agenda. Scary stuff.10:28
10 minutes, 28 seconds
Well, the here's the Heritage Foundation now. They want women's college sports defunded.10:35
10 minutes, 35 seconds
Uh they want women not to uh uh uh play uh hockey or baseball, softball.10:45
10 minutes, 45 seconds
They want to give us Pilates and yoga classes. Yoga, yes. And hiking.10:50
10 minutes, 50 seconds
But the important thing to note there is it also eliminates the financial opportunities awarded to sports. No more scholarship.10:57
10 minutes, 57 seconds
No more scholarships for women.10:59
10 minutes, 59 seconds
They're going to defer to men. Well, they're trying to funnel women into being trades and staying home. Here's a11:07
11 minutes, 7 seconds
quote from a Heritage Foundation official. If every Nobel Prize winner is11:14
11 minutes, 14 seconds
a man, that's not a failure. That's a cause for celebration. [laughter] In whose world?11:23
11 minutes, 23 seconds
I I I I don't even understand how we could reach that conclusion. I don't think they should all be women.11:28
11 minutes, 28 seconds
And I think they should be people who are qualified to receive the award regardless of gender.11:33
11 minutes, 33 seconds
As Becca Ballot says, a merit-based system. Correct.11:36
11 minutes, 36 seconds
Uh and then the other thing I wanted to get to was the women's uh tennis association11:44
11 minutes, 44 seconds
which is caving into where do I have that? Well, they're going to test, right?11:50
11 minutes, 50 seconds
Yes, they are. The Women's Tennis Association has announced Oh, there it is. mandatory testing for uh a gene,11:59
11 minutes, 59 seconds
mandatory genetic testing for a gene called SR Y. And the deal is that this12:07
12 minutes, 7 seconds
if you have this gene attached to something, uh it's indicative of some12:14
12 minutes, 14 seconds
male portion of you. It basically picks up interex people, right?12:20
12 minutes, 20 seconds
Or people with who knows? uh but they want to do mandatory testing. This is not a testing uh to see if you are uh12:30
12 minutes, 30 seconds
you know biologically male. It's a uh a test that gives indicators of some anomaly in your physical makeup.12:39
12 minutes, 39 seconds
Send
them over to Pete Hex for some testing. As people have pointed [clears
throat] out, they're going to be a lot of women who find out that
they're12:46
12 minutes, 46 seconds
interex who didn't know it. And this is just egregious and disgusting. Well, they gave in. That's what it is. they cave.12:54
12 minutes, 54 seconds
So,
this is the reign of the men uh trying to rule the world with some
because they can't accomplish it with a merit-based system.13:04
13 minutes, 4 seconds
Correct.13:04
13 minutes, 4 seconds
Uh so, they got bully and and roll over and um I don't look good in a long red cloak, so I'm not going to do that. But,13:13
13 minutes, 13 seconds
[laughter]13:14
13 minutes, 14 seconds
exactly. Uh now, let's be clear, we are not manhaters. No. Even though we are13:21
13 minutes, 21 seconds
happy lesbians, but we do not like men, the men who bully. That's right.13:27
13 minutes, 27 seconds
And
try to get rid of women. Those are the ones we don't like. [snorts] All
right. Uh and uh Steven Miller and Marco Rubio are not great examples
either.13:38
13 minutes, 38 seconds
No, they are not. Stephen Miller and Marco Rubio hosted an omnous press event on the resurgence of political terrorism.13:48
13 minutes, 48 seconds
What that means is in their mind that democratic organizations and activists are terrorists and they want to defund13:58
13 minutes, 58 seconds
Democrats and all nonprofit organizations that are not rightwing.14:03
14 minutes, 3 seconds
That's
right. Anybody who speaks against the president, I don't know if our
viewers can connect the dots. I assume I assume they can.14:12
14 minutes, 12 seconds
that if you speak against the leader of the country in a country that persecutes you for that, it is not a democracy.14:20
14 minutes, 20 seconds
And they have trotted out the old label of communist. They have just uh picked this out of thin air with absolutely no14:28
14 minutes, 28 seconds
justification. And you know what's wrong with communists? But uh I'm sure there are nice communists and course but14:36
14 minutes, 36 seconds
they're saying all leftists, all Democrats essentially are communists and enemies of civilization.14:45
14 minutes, 45 seconds
Recently the FBI raided the liberal voting rights organization Ohio organizing collaborative with battering rams and guns ready.14:53
14 minutes, 53 seconds
Yeah. in response to this idea.14:56
14 minutes, 56 seconds
Well,
and this is after going into Georgia and grabbing all the voting
machines and records and everything. Y So, uh, watch out because they
really15:05
15 minutes, 5 seconds
are shameless and relentless. Uh, and who knows what they have planned for the next 6 months. I'm not happy about it.15:13
15 minutes, 13 seconds
Not Not at all. No. We all we can do is show up to vote.15:18
15 minutes, 18 seconds
Well, and here's the um if they go on like this, this is the logical conclusion of it. Uh George of the15:26
15 minutes, 26 seconds
Jungle, [laughter] George Santos has popped up again. Here he is, ready for combat. [laughter]15:34
15 minutes, 34 seconds
He has signed up for a Fox TV television show, Special Forces World's Toughest15:41
15 minutes, 41 seconds
Test. Do we think George saying he must be getting a lot of testosterone?15:47
15 minutes, 47 seconds
[laughter]15:48
15 minutes, 48 seconds
um injections. Uh he they they filmed this show in Malaysia and George says it changed everything.15:58
15 minutes, 58 seconds
[laughter]16:00
16 minutes
So, well, I I see that the description of the show says it it reveals people for their true selves. That I mean, that16:08
16 minutes, 8 seconds
show must be two hours long to reveal George Santos's true self. He doesn't even know what it is.16:13
16 minutes, 13 seconds
You can't even tell the truth about not playing volleyball. Oh gosh.16:17
16 minutes, 17 seconds
Uh,
meanwhile, um, Trump wants the $5 million back from Eugene Carol. I
knew this was going to happen. Yeah, he was not going to rest easy with
that.16:27
16 minutes, 27 seconds
No, but you know what? Let it go on and on. Hopefully the courts will do what the courts have done all along.16:32
16 minutes, 32 seconds
Well, I want her to get the money. She wants to give the money away to a good organization.16:37
16 minutes, 37 seconds
I want her to get the money because she deserves it.16:39
16 minutes, 39 seconds
And I want her to get the 83 million that she's Imagine what good she'll do with that.16:43
16 minutes, 43 seconds
Fantastic. But he just th this is the perfect example of how he won't give up.16:48
16 minutes, 48 seconds
But he did show up at the World Cup and he did get booed when he walked onto the field when the game was over.16:54
16 minutes, 54 seconds
How did he think that he It just It just makes me crazy that he thinks that he's going to be welcomed in these places.17:04
17 minutes, 4 seconds
I think he thinks he was welcomed.17:07
17 minutes, 7 seconds
[laughter]17:10
17 minutes, 10 seconds
It It all sounded like cheering to him.17:13
17 minutes, 13 seconds
[laughter]17:15
17 minutes, 15 seconds
And then there's and and another pet peeve, this uh acting attorney general Todd Blanch, who meets with some of the17:23
17 minutes, 23 seconds
Epstein survivors after being bullied into it by Congress and then is reportedly just nothing but17:31
17 minutes, 31 seconds
condescending, dismissive to them, can't even pretend to listen to them, just treats them like dirt.17:40
17 minutes, 40 seconds
So whatever misogyny is ruling, men behaving badly.17:45
17 minutes, 45 seconds
Yeah. All right. And uh the Trump administration continuing to behave badly. We've told you about Philadelphia17:53
17 minutes, 53 seconds
where the uh George Washington Philadelphia house had these panels that told the truth18:00
18 minutes
about slavery and the administration took them down because they were, you know, too. They also had a a glass floor18:07
18 minutes, 7 seconds
in that exhibit that showed the layout of Washington's home and where the slaves slept. They removed that.18:15
18 minutes, 15 seconds
[snorts] It's gone.18:16
18 minutes, 16 seconds
I
believe it. Well, now they've restored the panels, but they've all been
homogenized. They I read them this morning. It's pretty sad.18:23
18 minutes, 23 seconds
Yeah. Uh apparently they liked being with Washington. They liked They liked being slaves. They were happy slaves. Yes. Uh18:32
18 minutes, 32 seconds
well, there's a new lawsuit coming over that.18:35
18 minutes, 35 seconds
Uh, but I'm also fascinated by this business [snorts] of Trump wanting to sell milliseconds of uh early access to18:46
18 minutes, 46 seconds
his tweets on Truth Social uh so that investors can get the information and make uh stock investments.18:54
18 minutes, 54 seconds
You know that I work in finance. Yeah. We call this the pump and dump. Yeah.18:58
18 minutes, 58 seconds
There's
an actual name for it. What it means is that you buy the you buy these
stocks and then you make everybody think this is this really great thing
and then19:06
19 minutes, 6 seconds
when
the stocks are at their high you sell your shares and all the people
you talked into it they're stuck with their shares as the price goes
down and down19:14
19 minutes, 14 seconds
but you made a profit and that's called a pump and dump.19:16
19 minutes, 16 seconds
Well, one of my favorite authors is a guy named Michael Lewis who he wrote Moneyball about uh baseball. wrote The19:24
19 minutes, 24 seconds
Big Short about the mortgage crisis and he wrote a book called uh Flash Boys uh a Wall Street revolt and it's about uh a19:34
19 minutes, 34 seconds
company that uh literally financed a new cable uh to carry uh financial information and they they built it so it19:42
19 minutes, 42 seconds
was just slightly shorter than the existing cable so that the information could get to them milliseconds faster19:51
19 minutes, 51 seconds
and
they could make investments based on having the information before
anyone else. It's a fascinating book. All of Michael Lewis's books are
fascinating.20:00
20 minutes
My finance advisers would call that a whole lot of things.20:03
20 minutes, 3 seconds
Yeah. [laughter] Well, this is what Trump is now doing.20:06
20 minutes, 6 seconds
Um, so insider trading, pumps and dumps, basic selling, insider trading, trading.20:14
20 minutes, 14 seconds
Uh,
all right, let's run down a few other things. Um, we told you that the
Daughters of the American Resol Revolution were standing up for their
trans members.20:24
20 minutes, 24 seconds
Yeah. Well, that didn't last too long.20:26
20 minutes, 26 seconds
Republicans, they might still win it.20:27
20 minutes, 27 seconds
They might. Republican representatives uh have noticed that the D has a federal charter. So once again, you have any20:36
20 minutes, 36 seconds
federal involvement and they will come after you in this administration.20:39
20 minutes, 39 seconds
Yeah.
Hopefully those folks will stand strong and fight against that because I
thought what they did was such a great thing. It lasted a week.
[laughter]20:48
20 minutes, 48 seconds
Now you know that uh women crossdress to fight in the uh American Revolution and the Civil War or to work even.20:56
20 minutes, 56 seconds
Yes, exactly.20:57
20 minutes, 57 seconds
They
were widows and they had no income because women were supposed to be
supported by men. You see how that works out. Now, the Office of
Management and21:05
21 minutes, 5 seconds
Budget has proposed a takeover of federal funding policies from Congress because they need to get rid of woke and DEI policies.21:16
21 minutes, 16 seconds
I could talk about that for hours, but Cong in in historically Congress appropriates funds and the21:24
21 minutes, 24 seconds
administration uh administers that no, now the administration wants to make all decisions about funding. They don't get21:32
21 minutes, 32 seconds
the
idea that Congress decides that because the constituents went to their
representatives to say what they wanted, which is how a democracy works.21:40
21 minutes, 40 seconds
Well,
the Republicans have uh seated power to the administration. And again,
this is the end result. They the administration is taking that power.21:50
21 minutes, 50 seconds
He's not done with that. He's not done there because he wants to grant $12 million to groups founded by UK conservatives.21:59
21 minutes, 59 seconds
Yep. Jacob Reese Moog and Toby Young because he likes them.22:06
22 minutes, 6 seconds
Yes. The State Department will give these foreign organizations $12 million. 12 million because he likes them.22:13
22 minutes, 13 seconds
[snorts] And the House has passed a uh bill to undercut Title Nine uh which is22:22
22 minutes, 22 seconds
the equal rights uh title and against sex discrimination which has been interpreted over the years to include22:30
22 minutes, 30 seconds
sexual orientation and gender identity non-discrimination. The House new bill takes all that out of it and, you know,22:38
22 minutes, 38 seconds
goes along with Trump's definition of uh it's men and women and that's it.22:43
22 minutes, 43 seconds
Well, who said it that did the Was it the Heritage Foundation that said that they were worried about women's fertility?22:50
22 minutes, 50 seconds
Oh, please. [laughter] And that things like playing sports um cuts down the estrogen and it's just crazy.22:58
22 minutes, 58 seconds
We're going to run out of time in this show. Uh, and they've canled oversight of contractors for discrimination. The23:05
23 minutes, 5 seconds
administration no longer cares if their contractors discriminate.23:09
23 minutes, 9 seconds
Well, they don't even they don't even uh put their contracts out to bid anymore.23:14
23 minutes, 14 seconds
He just assigns them to people whether they're qualified to take care of it or not.23:18
23 minutes, 18 seconds
That's right. And uh, of course, the new State Department funding bills include lots of anti-LGBTQ23:25
23 minutes, 25 seconds
riders, including no trans care for anyone, even though the courts have now said that's illegal and wrong. Hunter Biden says23:34
23 minutes, 34 seconds
closeted
gay Republicans in DC are the biggest problem in America. [laughter]
Who can argue with that? [snorts] I can't argue with him.23:42
23 minutes, 42 seconds
Yeah. Uh well, and Trump is uh activating the alien terrorist deportation court.23:50
23 minutes, 50 seconds
That's us, I'm sure. Um rugby players across the country are trying to stand up for trans players. They're uh the23:59
23 minutes, 59 seconds
administration is killing that because uh they have some oversight of uh sports organizations24:07
24 minutes, 7 seconds
and
uh and the same is true of the World Darts organization. I was going to
say that poor per that poor person in the world. Like come on.
[laughter] Yeah.24:17
24 minutes, 17 seconds
Craziness. [snorts] Darts. He's worried about darts. Yeah.24:21
24 minutes, 21 seconds
Uh all right. Should we get into politics? We were in politics.24:28
24 minutes, 28 seconds
Okay. Well, in fact, here's a segue.24:30
24 minutes, 30 seconds
Dayton, Ohio. Uh there's a public marker honoring the uh trans ruby girls for24:38
24 minutes, 38 seconds
raising $3 million for charity. Uh but the uh Doge cut uh funds, but uh the24:46
24 minutes, 46 seconds
public marker is standing in spite of the administration tried to kill it.24:51
24 minutes, 51 seconds
Yeah, they got it in right under the wire is what they said.24:53
24 minutes, 53 seconds
And also in Ohio, sorry to say that the Democratic nominee for governor, Amy Actton, wants no boys and girls sports.25:01
25 minutes, 1 second
It's a tight race with VC Ramiswami.25:04
25 minutes, 4 seconds
She's
another one. She gave in. She caved. She said it. She caved so that she
could win the election. This is how we're winning elections now, by
giving into this kind of stuff.25:13
25 minutes, 13 seconds
Well, protrans Democrats have won governorships in New Jersey, Virginia, and Kentucky. So, come on, get some uh25:23
25 minutes, 23 seconds
guts. Uh, all right. In uh New York, here in New York, uh we have a first25:31
25 minutes, 31 seconds
non-binary member of the state legislature, David Sephfort. Yeah. Won [snorts] an assembly primary.25:37
25 minutes, 37 seconds
Actually, he's won the primary, but he's assumed to win the general election. Take Deborah Glick's seat. Yes.25:43
25 minutes, 43 seconds
It's
interesting to sh to know that Deborah did not endorse him. [snorts] We
don't know the candidates well enough to know uh what I don't know why
she25:51
25 minutes, 51 seconds
didn't. But, uh Deborah was the first out member of the legislature. Uh has been there for a long time.25:58
25 minutes, 58 seconds
I know her a long time. She very instrumental in many of our accomplishments here in New York State. If it wasn't for Deborah.26:06
26 minutes, 6 seconds
Uh,
yes. Uh, Republicans are upset because Cynthia Nixon's been appointed
to a state commission on judicial. What's the funny thing about that and
come on?26:15
26 minutes, 15 seconds
Well,
the funny thing is they say she's not a lawyer. Well, the uh charter
for the commission says you must have a couple of non- lawyers on the
commission. So, get over yourself.26:24
26 minutes, 24 seconds
That's exactly right.26:25
26 minutes, 25 seconds
She's been she's very smart. She's been very involved. Uh, all right. Where did I go? Once again, they didn't read the rules.26:32
26 minutes, 32 seconds
So, there it is. Uh my friend Marne von Wilpert in California running for Daryl ISIS. He won the primary against a half26:41
26 minutes, 41 seconds
a dozen opponents. Uh she's just been endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign finally. Uh Marne is out bisexual, has a26:48
26 minutes, 48 seconds
great
girlfriend who I've met and now has breast cancer. She's still sitting
on the city council in San Diego. She's running for Congress and now she
has a26:57
26 minutes, 57 seconds
little
breast cancer. I talked to her last week. It's fine. She had a
lumpctomy. It's not a major thing. She's in great shape, but come on.
When When do the Locust come?27:08
27 minutes, 8 seconds
But if she keeps talking about that on the campaign trail, it'll do her a lot of good.27:12
27 minutes, 12 seconds
I
hope so. Uh it's certainly done me a lot of good to talk about it. I I I
applaud her for doing it. And Nancy Pelosi applauded her for doing it,
too.27:22
27 minutes, 22 seconds
It's a good good for you, Marty.27:25
27 minutes, 25 seconds
Uh all right. And oh, there we have that. And uh oh uh27:33
27 minutes, 33 seconds
we've been telling you about the murder of O'Shea Sibi. When was it? A couple of years ago. Yes. Uh in the gas station.27:40
27 minutes, 40 seconds
In the gas station while they were dancing.27:42
27 minutes, 42 seconds
Dancing. Well, his killer there uh two decades only.27:47
27 minutes, 47 seconds
Dimmitri pop off. Uh 20 years in prison cuz they took the hate crime charge off.27:54
27 minutes, 54 seconds
Yeah. They got him for manslaughter, but 20 years is a lot for a young guy. Uh in28:00
28 minutes
Alabama, a Haley Brook Terry who died last year has been found to be a a trans28:09
28 minutes, 9 seconds
uh woman. [snorts] Uh 20 years old. It was a truck crash and but she was misgendered. That's the key28:16
28 minutes, 16 seconds
there.
That's why we didn't continue to misgender folks and successful
[snorts] love by her family assistant manager to McDonald's.28:25
28 minutes, 25 seconds
Terrible. uh uh schools. The outgay superintendent of schools in Manchester Township, New Jersey, has gotten a28:34
28 minutes, 34 seconds
settlement of $265,000 after being fired for being gay by a very religious school board.28:42
28 minutes, 42 seconds
[cough and clears throat]28:42
28 minutes, 42 seconds
Nothing for the straight ally or the lesbian though. That will also look up.28:45
28 minutes, 45 seconds
We hope they'll get something. Um, and I think Do you think Troy Jackson is going to beat Susan Collins in Maine?28:57
28 minutes, 57 seconds
[snorts]28:57
28 minutes, 57 seconds
You
know, um, everything I've read says that he has a better chance
[laughter] than Graham. Anybody would have had a better chance than Gra.
And they said29:06
29 minutes, 6 seconds
that
that um I read an article the other night that says we might have
actually rejuvenated the race for the Democrats by making this change.
So, I hope so because Susan Collins really needs to go.29:15
29 minutes, 15 seconds
Yeah.
The United Methodist Church of Oregon and Idaho has canceled their
conference in Idaho because it's too [snorts] uh anti-gay and trans.29:24
29 minutes, 24 seconds
I'm
so mixed about that decision because part of me wants to say stay and
fight, but I do understand that they want their members to be
comfortable. I mean, I can see both sides of that, I guess.29:34
29 minutes, 34 seconds
Yeah. I mean, you also want to make a statement against Idaho that we're not going to give you our money, but this is29:42
29 minutes, 42 seconds
staying
and fighting has its merits. So, take your pick. Yeah, either one. Uh,
in Minnesota, the legislature defeated 44 proposed TRA anti-trans bills.29:53
29 minutes, 53 seconds
Minnesota as a state is my new hero in in the Trump life that we are living. They just will not bend and I love that.30:02
30 minutes, 2 seconds
Yeah, me too. Especially since my father lives from there. I'm half motan.30:08
30 minutes, 8 seconds
Uh, all right. Uh, a few people we've lost. Um, uh, Waldo Deetsz, uh, incredible writer,30:18
30 minutes, 18 seconds
uh, Berkeley, uh, died of Alzheimer's, psychologist. Um, he wrote a great book30:24
30 minutes, 24 seconds
about AIDS survivors guilt in the, uh, ' 80s. Uh, people30:31
30 minutes, 31 seconds
depressed and, uh, acting out out of guilt in the shadow of the epidemic, being HIV negative in the age of AIDS.30:40
30 minutes, 40 seconds
He then later, 20 years later, wrote a book called Out of the Shadows: Re-imagining Gay Men's Lives. Uh, still30:49
30 minutes, 49 seconds
about shame. He was controversial because he had pushed harm reduction for HIV prevention when there were debates30:57
30 minutes, 57 seconds
about uh oral sex and whether that was safe and whether people should do that without a condom. He was pro- no condom31:06
31 minutes, 6 seconds
for oral sex. He said if you for tell people that they have to use a condom for oral sex which they hate and won't31:13
31 minutes, 13 seconds
do then they won't use it for anal sex either. So give them permission to uh do31:21
31 minutes, 21 seconds
oral sex without a condom because the risk there is so small and then maybe they'll use a condom for anal sex. But31:28
31 minutes, 28 seconds
it was a huge huge debate in the 90s and he was just a very smart guy.31:34
31 minutes, 34 seconds
I remember that debate. I spent many years as an AIDS buddy. Yeah.31:38
31 minutes, 38 seconds
And that was a big big debate at the time.31:40
31 minutes, 40 seconds
What [snorts] to use a condom for, what not to.31:42
31 minutes, 42 seconds
Exactly. And how dangerous was it? And then Kathleen Walsh Darcy uh in Queens31:49
31 minutes, 49 seconds
was a straight ally uh Irish uh co-chair with Brendan Fay of the St. Pats for All Parade.31:58
31 minutes, 58 seconds
So, I want to give my condolences to Brendan Fay right now.32:01
32 minutes, 1 second
Absolutely. I'm sure that he's missing her like crazy. Uh she was a great hero working for the LGBTQ community for years.32:10
32 minutes, 10 seconds
Yep. And she'd be out there on St. Pats for All.32:13
32 minutes, 13 seconds
Yeah. Which was a parade started when the St. Patrick's Day parade in Manhattan would not admit an out LGBTQ32:21
32 minutes, 21 seconds
contingent. And so Brendan invented this St. Pats for All parade in Queens. It became enormously successful and popular32:30
32 minutes, 30 seconds
and drew all sorts of community representatives.32:34
32 minutes, 34 seconds
Been
to it many times. Many times. And I'm glad to see that they're
continuing it even though they now allow them in the general march.32:40
32 minutes, 40 seconds
Exactly. Because [laughter] it's a lot less rigid than the regular march.32:46
32 minutes, 46 seconds
Absolutely.
And you know, it should continue. It's it's something that um really
brings to light all of the community. It's a real community because32:54
32 minutes, 54 seconds
it's
just people getting out in the street and walking whereas the uh
together the Manhattan thing is so, you know, regiments and33:02
33 minutes, 2 seconds
yeah, whatever. Uh and in Lagouna Beach, California, Bill Le Point, an 86 therapist33:10
33 minutes, 10 seconds
uh publisher uh of uh the Orange County and Long Beach Blade uh known as33:18
33 minutes, 18 seconds
described
as brave, brilliant, risk-taking activist, really nice, sweet man. Uh
he died and we'll miss him. And time for a little comic relief.33:29
33 minutes, 29 seconds
I was waiting for this for the whole show. Enjoy everyone.33:33
33 minutes, 33 seconds
Sent by a viewer. Lesbians and chicken wings.33:39
33 minutes, 39 seconds
Lesbians are an elevated form of the human race.33:46
33 minutes, 46 seconds
[snorts]33:48
33 minutes, 48 seconds
Last night, our lesbian neighbors invited us to their house for chicken wings.33:56
33 minutes, 56 seconds
Now, if I invite you to my house for chicken wings, when you get there, my house is going to smell like burnt grease.34:04
34 minutes, 4 seconds
You won't be allowed into my kitchen because it's going to look like a crime scene.34:10
34 minutes, 10 seconds
Audrey and I are probably going to be on the backside of a really healthy argument and you're just getting chicken wings.34:22
34 minutes, 22 seconds
But last night when we arrived at our lesbian neighbor's house, we walked in and their house smelled like sandalwood.34:33
34 minutes, 33 seconds
They had all the food set up in the kitchen. Two types of wings, crispy fries, grilled zucchini strips, real34:42
34 minutes, 42 seconds
baked baked beans, street corn, muscles tossed in a white wine sauce, and we had silk pie for dessert.34:56
34 minutes, 56 seconds
And somehow they cleaned up while we were there and we didn't see it happen.35:06
35 minutes, 6 seconds
And when we left, they gave us wildflower seeds and a succulent.35:18
35 minutes, 18 seconds
[snorts]35:23
35 minutes, 23 seconds
I've never done parting gifts.35:27
35 minutes, 27 seconds
[snorts]35:33
35 minutes, 33 seconds
Is [laughter] he crying? That's hilarious.35:36
35 minutes, 36 seconds
You would not get a spread like that at my house. You would get one at mine.35:40
35 minutes, 40 seconds
There
you [laughter] go. Not all lesbians are alike, but that was just too
fantastic. This guy is not going to get a job at the Heritage
Foundation.35:49
35 minutes, 49 seconds
No, he's not. [laughter] But thank you. Thank you, sir. We don't know who you are, but uh35:56
35 minutes, 56 seconds
and
we don't care if it's AI or actually we don't care. It's fantastic. I
don't play sports, just for the record, but I do cook. [laughter] I'm
the sports player.36:06
36 minutes, 6 seconds
Yes, you are. You and my wife.36:07
36 minutes, 7 seconds
I have that covered. All right. Uh, international news.36:12
36 minutes, 12 seconds
Uh, in Germany, oh my gosh. There's an outgay member of Parliament, Jen's Span36:18
36 minutes, 18 seconds
or Yen's Span, uh, who there he is with he's on the right with his husband and they decided they wanted a child. And so36:28
36 minutes, 28 seconds
that is illegal in Germany. you cannot hire a surrogate in Germany. So they hire they went the traditional route and36:35
36 minutes, 35 seconds
hired a woman in the United States to carry a child for them. Well, because it's illegal in Germany and he's a36:43
36 minutes, 43 seconds
member
of parliament, people said, "Wait a minute, you're breaking the law."
Yeah. Not only is he a member of parliament, but he supported those
those laws.36:52
36 minutes, 52 seconds
He's a righter. He supported it. Yes. Uh opponent of surrogacy.36:58
36 minutes, 58 seconds
uh and uh rules for thee and not for me. That's what he's going for. He's surprised at the furious reaction.37:07
37 minutes, 7 seconds
So he was forced uh by the president chancellor, what are they call whichever37:14
37 minutes, 14 seconds
uh to resign his party position. He has not yet been forced out of parliament although I suspect he's on the edge but37:23
37 minutes, 23 seconds
uh he has been forced to step down from his prominent position with the party. He says family is most important to me.37:32
37 minutes, 32 seconds
Really his family but not everybody else's family.37:35
37 minutes, 35 seconds
Evidently, it doesn't say anything about him changing.37:37
37 minutes, 37 seconds
You
know, because of my background in marriage and family stuff, the first
thing that comes to me to mind to me is how is this child going to be
accepted there?37:47
37 minutes, 47 seconds
Like, well, he's not the only one who's done this.37:50
37 minutes, 50 seconds
No, but how is like how is the how are his parents like I don't see it.37:54
37 minutes, 54 seconds
Hypocrites.
I don't see how they're going to [laughter] It just infuriates how
they're going to move through life now when this kid38:01
38 minutes, 1 second
grows
up and finds out that your father advocated for the very law that
outlawed your creation. Oh, please. All will be forgiven.38:10
38 minutes, 10 seconds
Insanity.38:11
38 minutes, 11 seconds
Yeah. Uh and all is forgiven in Uganda where this lesbian couple, Wendy and Denise, had been arrested for kissing in38:20
38 minutes, 20 seconds
public. There they are kissing in public in February. uh they were uh threatened with prosecution under the38:27
38 minutes, 27 seconds
antihomosexuality law. Uh but 23,000 people signed petitions on their behalf and now38:36
38 minutes, 36 seconds
they've
been freed. Uh they are no longer But I wonder you and I talked about
this before the show. I wonder if that would have been the case if they
were two men.38:46
38 minutes, 46 seconds
I do wonder about that. Hundreds of men have been arrested in [snorts] Uganda under this new antihomosexuality law. We38:54
38 minutes, 54 seconds
don't know the outcome for them. And I do think uh the sort of reverse of what39:01
39 minutes, 1 second
uh they're feeling about women here as we described at the top of the show is that women are not threatening and39:09
39 minutes, 9 seconds
therefore
two women kissing is a lot uh less threatening than well the truth of
the matter is in Uganda they're not going to get any legal rights.
They're not going to be39:17
39 minutes, 17 seconds
able
to live together. They're not going to be able to create a family. Not
legally anyway. And you know, well, perhaps they should move to39:23
39 minutes, 23 seconds
Germany. [laughter] I That's hilarious. Oh my gosh.39:32
39 minutes, 32 seconds
Uh, and good news from the Netherlands where the National Health Council has done a two-year study of gender39:39
39 minutes, 39 seconds
affirming care for youth and they've written a very important uh report on39:45
39 minutes, 45 seconds
this and they say it should absolutely be supported. It is necessary for this39:52
39 minutes, 52 seconds
population. It should be done carefully, lawfully. It is effective. uh and it should it's urgently needed. There40:01
40 minutes, 1 second
should be no more dillydallying about this. They should be this is in uh response to some extent to the Cass40:08
40 minutes, 8 seconds
report in England which was done by this woman who was just you know doing it off the top of her head basically and saying40:16
40 minutes, 16 seconds
it wasn't good. Uh she must be JK Rowling's neighbor. They're very close.40:22
40 minutes, 22 seconds
No
one according to New Orleans, no one regrets having done it and doing
nothing is harmful. [snorts] Uh you are harming these kids if you do not
support this.40:33
40 minutes, 33 seconds
So that's great news from the Netherlands.40:35
40 minutes, 35 seconds
And but of course we have internationally two stories of misogyny and you know hateful men. Go ahead.40:42
40 minutes, 42 seconds
[snorts] The first one was these two guys 40 years ago killed a man that they presumed to be gay because he was40:50
40 minutes, 50 seconds
walking in a neighborhood in their area that Turns out he wasn't.40:53
40 minutes, 53 seconds
Turns out he wasn't. He was simply coming home from um his beer appreciation club. [snorts] Whatever. It41:00
41 minutes
doesn't matter. They their younger brother who was 10 at the time of the killing turned them in 40 years later.41:08
41 minutes, 8 seconds
The judge threw the book at them and said, "You were not planning to rob just anyone. You [snorts] were targeting a41:16
41 minutes, 16 seconds
group
in particular, and that was homosexual men. You were not just
threatening violence, you were perpetuating it." Give this man his
kudos.41:26
41 minutes, 26 seconds
Judges. Judges.41:27
41 minutes, 27 seconds
Amazing.
The judges are saving the day these days. And I think judges have a
higher percentage of good outcomes. [snorts] Not all of41:36
41 minutes, 36 seconds
them.
No, not all, but a higher percentage as you said. And then there's the
Tate brothers. Oh god, I can Well, just to finish off, these brothers41:44
41 minutes, 44 seconds
got a sentence of 10 and 15 years in prison.41:48
41 minutes, 48 seconds
Yeah. Again, not enough, but they did get they did get uh something. [snorts] Tell us about the Tate brothers.41:56
41 minutes, 56 seconds
[laughter]41:58
41 minutes, 58 seconds
God,
if it wasn't so scary, I would be amused. Uh, Andrew Interest and Tate,
prominent influencers in the so-called manosphere. What is that?42:08
42 minutes, 8 seconds
It's terrible.42:09
42 minutes, 9 seconds
They were arrested by federal marshals in Miami on uh this weekend in connection with new criminal charges of42:15
42 minutes, 15 seconds
rape and sex trafficking. This is the international Epstein situation. Uh they're just uh sleazy, horrible human42:24
42 minutes, 24 seconds
beings who are going around the world uh exploiting and attacking, raping42:31
42 minutes, 31 seconds
uh with and bragging about it. But it shows that changing a ruling can be dangerous cuz in Romania they had a42:38
42 minutes, 38 seconds
ruling against them for traveling out of the country and Romania decided to back down on that ruling and so they left the42:46
42 minutes, 46 seconds
country and they continued on their but now they're incarcerated in Florida in Florida to be extradited to the UK I think.42:55
42 minutes, 55 seconds
Okay. Well, let's cleanse our pallet of that with a little story from Canada. Uh you I don't know if any of you are old43:04
43 minutes, 4 seconds
enough to remember the Little Sisters bookstore in Vancouver, Canada, which in the 1980s was under attack because they43:11
43 minutes, 11 seconds
were a good progressive bookstore and they carried a lot of LGBT uh material.43:17
43 minutes, 17 seconds
Well, the Canadian uh customs officials were offended by that and they started seizing all the material that was going43:25
43 minutes, 25 seconds
to the Little Sisters bookstore from the US, tearing pages out of books that had43:32
43 minutes, 32 seconds
anything resembling LGBTQ content, sexual contact, whatever. And there was this huge, huge fight for years over43:41
43 minutes, 41 seconds
this. and the Little Sisters bookstore ultimately won and uh was able to import material because this was perfectly good43:50
43 minutes, 50 seconds
material. It wasn't offensive. It was absolutely fine.43:53
43 minutes, 53 seconds
Well,
they figured it out because that same material is being shipped to
other bookstores and it wasn't destroyed and it wasn't held up and all
that,44:01
44 minutes, 1 second
right? That somehow the customs officials had this uh vendetta against this bookstore. And so now the happy end44:08
44 minutes, 8 seconds
is that Canada has created this postage stamp in honor of the Little Sisters44:15
44 minutes, 15 seconds
bookstore. And it's so cute. If only we could use Canadian stamps.44:21
44 minutes, 21 seconds
Oh, Canada. [laughter] Thank you, Canada. Thank you, Canada. Yeah. [snorts] All right. And AIDS news.44:29
44 minutes, 29 seconds
Well, Mississippi uh has failed to use uh uh what's the uh the Affordable Care44:38
44 minutes, 38 seconds
Affordable Care Act for coverage of prep. Yep.44:41
44 minutes, 41 seconds
Yep.
[snorts] Uh and the insurance commissioner doesn't want to use it
because he says it it supports alternative lifestyles and promiscuity.44:52
44 minutes, 52 seconds
So, with him not using the funds for prep, what has happened?44:56
44 minutes, 56 seconds
New HIV. HIV infections. Of course, of course. And you know, not everyone who's promiscuous or alternative uses45:04
45 minutes, 4 seconds
prep.
So, you know, you know what the definition of promiscuity is that we
used to say when we were uh Andy and I were going out and45:11
45 minutes, 11 seconds
doing uh education in the schools, AIDS education in the 80s and 90s. The definition of promiscuity is one more45:19
45 minutes, 19 seconds
than I've had. [laughter] Goodness.45:25
45 minutes, 25 seconds
We would say this to school children around New [laughter] York City and they got it. They understood, but we have to45:32
45 minutes, 32 seconds
tell the commissioner. In uh Pennsylvania, the legislature in a bipartisan fashion is working to45:39
45 minutes, 39 seconds
decriminalize uh and destigmatize HIV positive people having sex because,45:47
45 minutes, 47 seconds
[laughter] you know, you can be uh non-transmissible if you're on the right drugs. And uh and yet people are still45:55
45 minutes, 55 seconds
being prosecuted for having sex. So Pennsylvania is getting with the program. That's a good thing.46:02
46 minutes, 2 seconds
And uh we thought we had something going in Congress. Uh Senator Cornin of Texas46:09
46 minutes, 9 seconds
who's been screwed by uh Trump who endorsed uh Ken Paxton. Oh my god, what46:16
46 minutes, 16 seconds
a monster. Uh, so we thought Cornin would uh enjoy his last days in Congress46:23
46 minutes, 23 seconds
by ignoring Trump. No, no, he threatened to he threatened to vote against uh the46:30
46 minutes, 30 seconds
nominations of Carrie Lake, remember her, to be ambassador to Jamaica.46:36
46 minutes, 36 seconds
[laughter]46:36
46 minutes, 36 seconds
Oh my goodness.46:37
46 minutes, 37 seconds
And Pennian Doug Mastriano, who lost a Senate race.46:42
46 minutes, 42 seconds
Senate race. Yep. to John Federman um to be ambassador to Slovakia. Uh so46:50
46 minutes, 50 seconds
Cordon
said he wasn't going to vote for them unless the administration spent
the PEPFAR funds that Congress had appropriated. Perfect.46:58
46 minutes, 58 seconds
Yes. Perfect.46:59
46 minutes, 59 seconds
So the administration said to him, "Well, okay, we'll spend some of them." And he voted for Carrie Lake and Doug Mastriano.47:10
47 minutes, 10 seconds
Well,
I guess a deal is a deal, but they didn't spend all of it. And that's
what he should They probably spent about a dollar. That's what I'm
saying.47:18
47 minutes, 18 seconds
And and uh a new AMFAR study, American Foundation for AIDS research found that47:24
47 minutes, 24 seconds
PEPFAR cuts uh to programs around the world were even much worse, much worse,47:31
47 minutes, 31 seconds
much worse than we had thought. And lo and behold, global HIV infections up. People dying up.47:39
47 minutes, 39 seconds
People dying up again. Especially uh children. Yep. So, thank you, President Trump.47:47
47 minutes, 47 seconds
[snorts] All right.47:49
47 minutes, 49 seconds
I hate the idea of using president in a sentence with his name.47:53
47 minutes, 53 seconds
Well, there are people who won't use his name at all.47:55
47 minutes, 55 seconds
Whoopy Goldberg. She makes me laugh every day with that. [snorts] There you go. You're easy.48:01
48 minutes, 1 second
I'm easy. [laughter] Don't tell Sheila that48:07
48 minutes, 7 seconds
[gasps]48:07
48 minutes, 7 seconds
the wife. The wife. All right. Uh enter entertainment news. Entertainment news.48:13
48 minutes, 13 seconds
Well, the Odyssey with Elliot Paige in it. Uh after all that bruhaha is it's a big hit.48:20
48 minutes, 20 seconds
Huge huge hit.48:22
48 minutes, 22 seconds
And
I have to go and see it because the only thing I remember at the about
the Odyssey is groaning cuz I had to read it in school. [laughter] So
I'd really like to you know.48:29
48 minutes, 29 seconds
So you're going to see the movie version? I am going to see the movie version IMAX.48:34
48 minutes, 34 seconds
I am partially because of Elliot Paige and the particular um uh48:42
48 minutes, 42 seconds
character character that they play.48:43
48 minutes, 43 seconds
He they're playing Thank you for remind me of Sina the trickster. Yeah.48:50
48 minutes, 50 seconds
Uh who gets Troy to accept the Trojan horse.48:54
48 minutes, 54 seconds
Yeah. Even though in the Odyssey, the original Odyssey, the Trojan horse wasn't actually in it.49:00
49 minutes
that just referenced it as far as I can remember, but I'm I'm interested to see what they did.49:04
49 minutes, 4 seconds
You
said it was in the Iliad and not It was in the Iliad. Yeah, it was just
a mention in the Odyssey, but that's not what I hear they've done with
it.49:11
49 minutes, 11 seconds
[laughter]49:11
49 minutes, 11 seconds
And that's all good for me. You know, you have It's fiction.49:15
49 minutes, 15 seconds
Yeah,
that's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying. That's it's fine that
they that they do do it around and I'm interested in seeing it.49:22
49 minutes, 22 seconds
It
is. Uh well, Chris Cooper was sitting in your seat last week and he
loves big spectacles. So, he was on his way to see it uh when I saw him
last last week.49:34
49 minutes, 34 seconds
So, maybe that'll be good. I little little lesson to anyone who co-hosts. Watch the show before. Watch the week before.49:41
49 minutes, 41 seconds
Yes. At the very least, it's really important. All right.49:45
49 minutes, 45 seconds
All right. And uh oh uh the Whitney Bianial is a big art show [snorts] annually with49:54
49 minutes, 54 seconds
hundreds of artists and a very big deal at the Whitney Museum here in New York and they give out a prize at the end for50:02
50 minutes, 2 seconds
the um I want to get this right. Uh well it's a top prize the Bucks bomb award50:10
50 minutes, 10 seconds
$100,000 to the artist who they I don't know anything about that. Oh, wow. That's amazing.50:16
50 minutes, 16 seconds
Yeah. So, the winner is a lesbian artist. Oh, I love that.50:20
50 minutes, 20 seconds
A longtime legendary uh lesbian artist, not one of the new kids who usually get it. Pad Allesco. Uh there she is with50:29
50 minutes, 29 seconds
one
of her uh creations called Blowh Hard. Uh we have another picture of
Yeah, there's the whole Blow Hard. So, Panalesco is a beloved lesbian
artist.50:42
50 minutes, 42 seconds
Uh that particular piece is from 1995.50:47
50 minutes, 47 seconds
Uh and she had another uh little film in the exhibition from called Footsie from 1979.50:55
50 minutes, 55 seconds
She does sculpture, performance art, costumes, film. She's known for her slapstick humor as you might imagine51:03
51 minutes, 3 seconds
from Oh, I know who she is. I didn't know she won the award. That's all. Yes. Uh but mixed with social critique.51:10
51 minutes, 10 seconds
So, it's, you know, humor and social critique.51:14
51 minutes, 14 seconds
Uh, and and people were just thrilled that she won this award because I am. Yeah. Good. I am.51:22
51 minutes, 22 seconds
Okay. Well, there you are.51:23
51 minutes, 23 seconds
Cuz but then again, I have I'm a big fan of older lesbians. [laughter] Yes. Well, here we are. That's right.51:31
51 minutes, 31 seconds
And Barry Manalo.51:32
51 minutes, 32 seconds
Barry Manalow had uh told us last year he had lung cancer and he had surgery for that. And uh as someone who has had51:41
51 minutes, 41 seconds
a
brother who died of lung cancer, I'm well aware of the dangers that
lung cancer, but I also know lots of people who caught it early and had
surgery and survived.51:51
51 minutes, 51 seconds
Jackie's
uh Jackie's had a friend who lost her mom to lung cancer rather quickly
when they were just children. So terrible. Well, uh, Barry Manalo not52:00
52 minutes
only has survived surgery for lung cancer, but he has, uh, gotten back on stage in Las Vegas with his residency.52:08
52 minutes, 8 seconds
Fantastic.52:09
52 minutes, 9 seconds
And
he did, uh, he did a weekend of shows and and I thought, "Wow, that's
great. I wonder if he's going to do any more." And I looked it up. He's
doing52:18
52 minutes, 18 seconds
like
every weekend for the rest of the year. Maybe not every [clears throat]
weekend, but he is. He's got a full schedule of Las Vegas weekends of52:26
52 minutes, 26 seconds
performance at the Westgate. And if you're a Barry Manalo fan and want to go see him, he's there belting him out.52:34
52 minutes, 34 seconds
Well,
I'm just happy that he recuperated and he's back to work. I don't know
if I consider myself a fan of his music, but you're not a fan of Low?52:41
52 minutes, 41 seconds
I'm
not really a fan of Low, but that doesn't mean that doesn't mean that I
don't wish him well, and I'm not happy that he's doing well. As with
everyone,52:50
52 minutes, 50 seconds
there
are some things that are great and some things that are less appealing
or whatever. We did the chicken wings. I love that. Did the chicken
wings. That was really hilarious.52:58
52 minutes, 58 seconds
So, now we have one more uh video for you. There's a straight couple in53:04
53 minutes, 4 seconds
Detroit uh army veterans uh who uh have this couple have been impressed by the LGBTQ53:13
53 minutes, 13 seconds
community and say that they've been helped by us. And so they decided that they were going to go big for Pride53:20
53 minutes, 20 seconds
Month. And what they now do is they do a fantastic huge display on the front of their house of all sorts of uh rainbow53:30
53 minutes, 30 seconds
and pride uh things. And they keep it up all month. They start Memorial Day. They end the 4th of July and it's just huge.53:38
53 minutes, 38 seconds
Governor Wes Moore of Maryland.53:40
53 minutes, 40 seconds
I was just going to say Wes Moore stopped by their house [laughter] to see it. Well, we're not showing that53:47
53 minutes, 47 seconds
video, but we are showing uh this couple talk about uh their pride display in Detroit.53:56
53 minutes, 56 seconds
From your page, it was it was pride. It was pride. It was absolutely pride.54:01
54 minutes, 1 second
Dave and I put up Was it our first year or second year?54:04
54 minutes, 4 seconds
I think it was our second year of decoration.54:07
54 minutes, 7 seconds
And anyway, we were literally out here talking with a neighbor.54:10
54 minutes, 10 seconds
Yeah. and a guy pulls up and he says, "I think you should take your flag down." Now, mind you, he didn't say anything54:18
54 minutes, 18 seconds
about [laughter] the 40ft display of flowers, but he did say he thought we should take our flag down. And Mandy, it54:26
54 minutes, 26 seconds
was one of those situations where you can't really, you don't really have the comeback at the tip of your tongue. And54:32
54 minutes, 32 seconds
so, it bothered me all night. I got up the next morning. I was down in the kitchen. I was perking the waiting for54:39
54 minutes, 39 seconds
the
coffee to perk and I just opened up my phone and said all the things I
should have said when that person pulled up in front of the house. I was
in my54:47
54 minutes, 47 seconds
pajamas. I looked like a hot mess and I went boink and posted it and then went oh [laughter]54:55
54 minutes, 55 seconds
cuz I don't know that we had been even remotely political. Nothing really. Um, we were pretty much all just our house55:03
55 minutes, 3 seconds
account and the response was amazing. I think Trump coming back into55:12
55 minutes, 12 seconds
power and the sense that our pride community was really under threat. So, we kind of picked up a little more steam55:19
55 minutes, 19 seconds
last year and last year's theme was the first pride was a riot and then we just escalated this year in part because I'm55:26
55 minutes, 26 seconds
a maximalist Mandy. And the other part is um there's over 520 pieces of anti-LGBTQ legislation floating around our country.55:36
55 minutes, 36 seconds
If there's a time to get loud and be visible, especially as a straight couple, it's now. It's now. Detroit has55:44
55 minutes, 44 seconds
been a blessing for us. I tell everybody this. I don't know that I would have the voice I have if I was anywhere else in55:52
55 minutes, 52 seconds
the world. I feel Detroit has helped me find my voice. Um I feel very safe being so vocal here.56:04
56 minutes, 4 seconds
Um I love this city. It's been amazing.56:07
56 minutes, 7 seconds
I
think where we go from here is we recognize Pride doesn't end in the
month of June. It is an all year ongoing thing. Just because we're not
all waving56:16
56 minutes, 16 seconds
our
flags and we will take our decorations down, now is the time when we
start to really lean into the real work and that is legislation and
getting56:25
56 minutes, 25 seconds
people elected to put legislation in place to stop this kind of hate legislation that's floating around.56:38
56 minutes, 38 seconds
Amazing.56:39
56 minutes, 39 seconds
That is beautiful. I would certainly say she is a maximalist. [laughter] Yes, I think so. That's so beautiful.56:46
56 minutes, 46 seconds
It
is. And it's beautiful to find allies who really get it and who are
willing to step up and do that cuz we can't do this on our own.56:55
56 minutes, 55 seconds
No, we can't any more than any other oppressed group can do it on their own. We have to all be in this together. And57:03
57 minutes, 3 seconds
the
whole point of the people in power is to divide us. It is. And and I
want to say to our community that we have to stand together and we have
to57:11
57 minutes, 11 seconds
stand with our trans siblings. We have to be out there. We have to continue to be visible and stand against this. We57:20
57 minutes, 20 seconds
have to It's dangerous. I know. I know a lot of people are nervous, but we have to find that courage.57:26
57 minutes, 26 seconds
And you have allies out there, and if you speak up, you will find those allies and draw them to you. uh and uh we don't57:35
57 minutes, 35 seconds
all have to agree on everything in order to work together. We the whole fundamental point is simply to create a57:45
57 minutes, 45 seconds
world of respect uh and appreciation for everyone. So with that we are ending this week. Thank you Kathy.57:53
57 minutes, 53 seconds
Thank you so much Ann. It's been a pleasure to work with you. I look forward to you being a guest host.57:58
57 minutes, 58 seconds
Okay. [laughter] See you next week.
Free Speech TV
63.8K subscribers
No comments:
Post a Comment