Iran-US war latest: Trump claims Strait of Hormuz is open with all mines removed after declaring it ‘new US territory’
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iran-us-war-live-trump-oman-hormuz-peace-nuclear-weapons-b3034640.html
Iran-US war latest: Trump claims Strait of Hormuz is open with all mines removed after declaring it ‘new US territory’
Negotiations between the parties remain deadlocked as the waterway remains largely closed
- Copy link
- Bookmark
- 177CommentsGo to comments
President Donald Trump has declared the Strait of Hormuz as US territory in a new post on Truth Social.
Sharing a bizarre map of the region with a large blue circle over Hormuz, the picture declared the vital shipping route as “NEW US territory”.
“The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” he continued. “The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”
However, data shared by Kpler with The Independent shows that only ten vessels passed through on Monday, compared to 130 to 140 before the outbreak of war.
Trump added that there are “no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled” with the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Iran had earlier said the shipping route is to remain closed until the US meet the conditions agreed in an interim deal, according to Iran’s top negotiator Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf in comments shared by state media.
Conditions include lifting a marine blockade and sanctions as well as freeing Iran’s frozen assets.
President Donald Trump has separately threatened to attack Oman – a US ally – if it "gets in the way" of his efforts to force a peace deal with Iran.
Asia shares decline as worries about rising oil prices outweigh perks from strong earnings
Asian shares declined in early Tuesday trading, as rising oil prices and worries about inflation worked as a dampener on some markets, countering the optimism that had come from robust corporate earnings reports.
Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 dipped 1.6% to 68,098.54. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 edged up 0.2% to 9,088.60. South Korea's Kospi reversed course after surging earlier to drop 0.6% to 6,933.60. Hong Kong's Hang Seng lost 0.6% to 25,289.88, while the Shanghai Composite shed 0.5% to 3,963.53.
Analysts said robust earnings reports in Asia, following those from the U.S., are helping counter worries about what the war in Iran will do to the global flow of crude and its impact on energy prices. Japan, for one, imports almost all its oil.

Asia shares decline as worries about rising oil prices outweigh perks from strong earnings
Watch: Trump casts doubt on Iran deal, says Tehran ‘cannot have a nuclear weapon’
Turkey condemns Israeli airstrikes on Syrian base, calls for international response
Turkey on Tuesday strongly condemned Israeli air strikes on the Abu al-Duhur air base in northwestern Syria, and called on the international community to ensure Israel is held accountable for actions which it said violated international laws.
"We call on the international community to take a more decisive stance to end Israel's escalating aggression against Syria," the ministry said in a statement.
In focus: The creation of a ‘Muslim Nato’ shows Trump is losing his grip in the Middle East
As Donald Trump continued his attacks on Iran earlier this month, a deal that could radically reshape security in the Middle East was quietly being done in Saudi Arabia.
On 7 August, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey signed the Mecca Joint Defence agreement, a Nato-style mutual defence pact that states an attack on any one of the group will be considered an attack on all.
The timing is significant. All three countries have been the target of Iranian retaliatory attacks across the Middle East since US-Israeli strikes killed supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in February.
Why new ‘Muslim Nato’ shows Trump’s authority in the Middle East has collapsed
Trump says 'no talks' taking place with Iran
Donald Trump has announced that “there are no talks or conversations going on or scheduled” with the Islamic Republic of Iran in a post on Truth Social on Tuesday.
He added: “The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”
Trump declares Hormuz as US territory
President Donald Trump has declared the Strait of Hormuz as US territory in a new post on Truth Social.
Sharing a bizarre map of the region with a large blue circle over Hormuz, the picture declared the vital shipping route as “US territory”.

Trump’s approval rating falls to the lowest of his presidency, new poll finds
President Donald Trump's approval rating has fallen to the lowest level of his presidency, according to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll that concluded on Monday.
Just 33 percent of respondents in the four-day survey, down from 35 percent, said they approved of Trump's performance in the White House, while 64 per cent disapproved.
Trump's approval rating, which is now lower than at any point in his current term, has tied the lowest level of his prior term reached in December 2017.
Trump’s approval rating falls to the lowest of his presidency, new poll finds
Qatar provides update on Iranian pilots and Omani talks
Qatar’s foreign ministry spokesperson says that mediators are waiting for Oman and Iran to reach a bilateral agreement on Hormuz, according to Reuters.
The country was accused of capturing three Iranian pilots after downing fighter jets, which it denies.
On Tuesday it reiterated its invitation for an Iranian delegation to visit Qatar to discuss the issue and said its appeal for the Red Cross to get involved is a “media ploy”.
The spokesperson added that agreement over the Strait of Hormuz would make it much easier to resume US-Iran talks.
In pictures: Netanyahu votes in Likud primary elections ahead of general election in October
Join our commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies
177Comments.jpg?quality=75&width=230&crop=3%3A2%2Csmart&auto=webp)
No comments:
Post a Comment