Monday, August 17, 2026

White House denies Trump chief Susie Wiles’ phone was hacked again after UK Prime Minister falls victim to hoax

 

White House denies Trump chief Susie Wiles’ phone was hacked again after UK Prime Minister falls victim to hoax

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-susie-wiles-phone-hack-b3034303.html 

White House denies Trump chief Susie Wiles’ phone was hacked again after UK Prime Minister falls victim to hoax

Denial comes after Prime Minister Andy Burnham was taken in by a hoaxer who claimed to be Wiles in a text exchange

Video Player Placeholder
How Much Do Top White House Staffers Really Earn?

The White House was forced to deny on Monday that Chief of Staff Susie Wiles’ phone was hacked a second time after it emerged that British Prime Minister Andy Burnham received texts from a person he thought was President Donald Trump’s top aide.

Politico first reported that Burnham had briefly “engaged” with text messages purporting to be from Wiles, a veteran Florida political operative who is the first woman to serve as White House chief of staff, before becoming concerned that the messages in question were not actually from Wiles.

The prime minister’s office said the “few messages” exchanged were “of no significance” and described the incident as a “national security matter” on which there would be no further comment.

But the incident was concerning enough that the British government contacted the White House about it through their embassy in Washington over fears that Wiles’ phone had been breached as it was a year ago, when business people and political figures began receiving texts from her that she had not actually sent.

Still, a White House official told The Independent the incident with Burnham is not related to that prior security breach.

President Donald Trump’s chief of staff Susie Wiles, whose phone was previously hacked, is back at the center of another fake messages issue
President Donald Trump’s chief of staff Susie Wiles, whose phone was previously hacked, is back at the center of another fake messages issue (AFP/Getty)
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham was duped by messages form someone he thought was Wiles and reported the issue to the White House
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham was duped by messages form someone he thought was Wiles and reported the issue to the White House

“This incident had nothing to do with the Chief of Staff’s devices being hacked,” the official said.

The transatlantic contretemps over the inauthentic messages comes more than a year after the FBI and White House launched a probe into how a slew of political and business bigwigs began receiving texts and calls from someone purporting to be Wiles — after which she reportedly told people her phone had been breached.

According to The Wall Street Journal, FBI officials told the White House they did not believe a foreign adversary was to blame for the incidents.

Burnham is not the first British or American official to fall victim to a high-profile hoax in recent years.

In 2024, Lord David Cameron — then the British Foreign Minister — was duped by a hoaxer who had tricked him into texting and getting on the phone with someone pretending to be ex-Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko.

And last year, Secretary of State Marco Rubio was impersonated by an individual who used AI to ape his voice and written communications in a series of voice and text messages to what The Washington Post described as “three foreign ministers, a U.S. governor, and a U.S. member of Congress.”

Unlike the incident with Burnham and Wiles, the Post said a State Department cable attributed the Rubio hoaxes to an actor who had the “goal of gaining access to information or accounts.”

Trump administration officials frequently flout record-keeping laws and long-established security practices by using their personal devices to conduct government business, often using the Signal encrypted messaging app.

Michael Waltz, the ex-Florida congressman who currently serves as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, was sacked from his prior position as President Donald Trump’s national security adviser after he inadvertently included The Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg in a signal chat in which he, Rubio, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and other top administration officials discussed plans for airstrikes on Houthi rebels in Yemen last year.

 

Burnham exchanged messages with individual impersonating Trump chief of staff

 

Burnham exchanged messages with individual impersonating Trump chief of staff

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2026/aug/17/andy-burnham-exchanged-messages-individual-impersonating-trump-chief-of-staff-susie-wiles 

Burnham and Wiles composite
It is unclear what was discussed between Burnham and the person purporting to be Susie Wiles (right). Composite: James Manning/PA Wire/Alex Brandon/AP Photo

Burnham exchanged messages with individual impersonating Trump chief of staff

Prime minister was in contact with unknown person pretending to be senior White House aide Susie Wiles, it is understood

Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone impersonating Donald Trump’s chief of staff, the Guardian understands.

The prime minister was in contact with an unknown individual pretending to be the senior White House aide Susie Wiles before concerns were raised about the incident. No messages of significance were sent and the suspicious activity was quickly reported to the appropriate authorities, it is understood.

The British embassy in Washington was so concerned it raised the matter with the White House, according to Politico, which first reported the exchange. A UK government spokesperson said: “We do not comment on national security matters.”

Last year, the Wall Street Journal reported that the FBI had launched an investigation into efforts to access Wiles’s phone after an unknown person pretending to be her contacted prominent Republicans and business chiefs.

It is unclear when the messages were sent and what was discussed between Burnham, who succeeded Keir Starmer in Downing Street on 20 July, and the impersonator.

There have been security concerns related to Trump’s White House, with the president’s personal phone number common knowledge among reporters covering US politics.

In December 2025, a US defence department report concluded Trump’s defence secretary, Pete Hegseth, had endangered the lives of US service personnel when he discussed details of a military operation with fellow senior US officials in a group chat to which a journalist had been added.

According to a source, Hegseth violated departmental policies when he shared secret information in a Signal messaging chat. The chat was disclosed after the then national security adviser, Mike Waltz, added a journalist for the Atlantic, having saved his number under someone else’s name. Besides Waltz and Hegseth, the group also included the vice-president, JD Vance, and the CIA director, John Ratcliffe.

The source said the report by the inspector general, the internal investigative agency for the department, found the information Hegseth distributed was secret and could have put US troops in danger if it had been intercepted by an enemy force.

skip past newsletter promotion

In March, citing multiple anonymous sources the Guardian has not been able to verify, the Atlantic reported that the White House had been told Trump’s contact details had been offered for sale to people seeking influence. “It’s honestly just wild,” one of them told the outlet. “I’ve heard of CEOs offering money for his number. I’ve heard of crypto bros offering cryptocurrency for it.”

Campaigns like this fund our work: can you help?
10,286 of 20,000 acts of support

Consider us impressed

Nice: you just finished reading article

the past year. It seems you really value our work. We really value you too.

We couldn’t help but notice though that while you’re a loyal Guardian reader, you’re not a recent supporter. (As you likely know, we are reader-funded. No billionaires behind the scenes here!) With dedicated people like you who haven’t contributed yet or recently, we often find one of two things are going on.

First: perhaps you simply don’t have anything to spare right now. If that's the case, we want you to know: we value your readership as much as those who can contribute, and please keep reading, as much as you like, forever. One of the wonderful values shared by Guardian readers around the globe is a desire to ease the burden for others. So ignore these appeals: our community of supporters has your back.

But if you can afford to spare something, here’s what we also know: most likely you’ve thought about giving, but for whatever perfectly human reason, you haven’t got round to it yet. So perhaps today is the day? We know – you’ve finished reading what you came to read, and you have other things to get on with. But we promise it’s quick, and even more: we promise it matters.

We survive entirely because people like you decide to respond to messages like this.

While all support is gratefully received, and even $5 helps, please consider a monthly contribution: it takes less than a minute to set up, and it’s the best way to make the biggest impact – helping sustain our fearless, independent journalism for the long haul. We’re not going anywhere; we hope you’ll stick with us too. Thank you for helping protect the non-billionaire-owned press.

Recommended

More on this story

  • Chinese super-embassy in London to go ahead after high court challenge dismissed

  • Starmer warns Burnham he cannot spend less time on diplomacy

  • Diplomat who abruptly left Washington embassy was honoured by the king

  • British Council staff in Italy to strike over proposed 80% workforce cut

  • Shadow of Iraq war lies over Westminster as MPs consider US-Israeli attack on Iran

  • Love, actually? Starmer’s ‘keep calm’ approach to Trump comes under strain

  • British diplomat expelled from Russia after ‘baseless’ accusation of being a spy

  • Starmer delivers masterclass in hedging his bets after Venezuela raid

More from News

  • US-Israel war on Iran
    Donald Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ of ending Iran war

  • US politics live
    Top Democrat slams Trump’s ‘inane, haphazard’ cuts to US-South Korea drills

  • E Jean Carroll
    US supreme court again rejects Trump’s bid to overturn E Jean Carroll verdict

  • Trump administration
    Alzheimer’s research is latest casualty in Trump administration war against ‘DEI’

  • Russia
    Senior Russian banker fired after scathing speech on wartime economy

  • US crime
    Louisiana man allegedly killed his wife and drove her body across states before arrest

  • Business
    Leading economies’ borrowing costs hit highest since 2008 crisis

  • US immigration
    British Muslim student with valid visa refused entry to US after 23-hour detention

  • Film
    Hayden Panettiere, actor in Heroes and Nashville, dies aged 36

 

Supreme Court turns down Trump’s last-ditch bid to overturn $5M verdict in E. Jean Carroll suit

Supreme Court turns down Trump’s last-ditch bid to overturn $5M verdict in E. Jean Carroll suit

https://www.politico.com/news/2026/08/17/turmp-carroll-supreme-court 

Supreme Court turns down Trump’s last-ditch bid to overturn $5M verdict in E. Jean Carroll suit

The president’s attempt to reverse a separate $83.3M award remains pending at the high court.

By Josh Gerstein and Erica Orden

08/17/2026 10:44 AM EDT

The Supreme Court has rejected, once again, President Donald Trump’s bid to challenge a $5 million award writer E. Jean Carroll won against him in 2023 for sexual abuse and defamation.

The justices announced in June that they would not take up Trump’s petition seeking to overturn that verdict, stemming from a lawsuit in which Carroll alleged that Trump sexually assaulted her in a Manhattan department store in the 1990s. But Trump raged against the decision and filed a last-ditch motion last month asking them to revisit the issue.

In a routine order list issued Monday, the high court turned down Trump’s rehearing request without comment or any indication of dissent. Trump’s petition came during the justices’ summer break, so it appears they did not discuss the filing face-to-face before rejecting it.

In July, Carroll received more than $5.6 million from the sexual abuse and defamation case after a federal judge ordered the money she was awarded plus accumulated interest released to her despite Trump’s continued attempts to halt the payment.

Trump has also asked the Supreme Court to overturn a $83.3 million jury award resulting from a separate defamation lawsuit filed by Carroll. The justices are likely to indicate later this year whether they will hear arguments in that case.

Trump’s Supreme Court challenges to both verdicts argued in part that the verdicts were flawed because they relied on statements Trump made in 2019 about Carroll while he was serving as president and those statements should be considered immune from legal liability under the high court’s 2024 ruling granting presidents immunity for many acts they take while in office.

 

Why Kushner met Hamas leaders, and what it means for Trump’s Gaza roadmap

Why Kushner met Hamas leaders, and what it means for Trump’s Gaza roadmap

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/8/17/why-kushner-met-hamas-leaders-and-what-it-means-for-trumps-gaza-roadmap 

Why Kushner met Hamas leaders, and what it means for Trump’s Gaza roadmap

Jared Kushner to meet Netanyahu next, after Israel rejected Trump’s 15-point Gaza roadmap.


Kushner and Al-Hayya
Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya and United States envoy Jared Kushner [File:AFP]

United States envoy Jared Kushner is set to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday for high-stakes talks in Tel Aviv, following intensive diplomatic sessions in Cairo, Egypt, aimed at advancing the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire roadmap.

Kushner, accompanied by Board of Peace Director-General Nickolay Mladenov and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, held an unprecedented meeting lasting more than two hours with a Hamas delegation. The Reuters news agency reported that Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya headed the team.

The diplomatic push comes as Washington seeks to implement a 15-point roadmap for Gaza — approved by US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace.

However, Netanyahu has publicly rejected the framework, insisting that Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed, while Israel continues military operations in Gaza and expands its illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank.

Here is what we know about Kushner’s meeting with Hamas leaders, what he is expected to do next, and what these developments mean for the 15-point plan for Gaza.

Why did Kushner meet Hamas leaders?

Officially, the US describes Hamas as a banned, “terrorist” organisation. Unofficially, the US has long engaged with the Palestinian group, mostly through mediators.

Political analysts view the direct engagement between the US envoys and the Hamas leadership as a pivotal recognition of political realities on the ground.

Mahjoob Zweiri, a lecturer and expert in Middle East politics at Doha Institute for Graduate Studies, told Al Jazeera that the meeting represents a “type of American submission to the fact that Hamas is a political force in Palestinian society that cannot be ignored”.

He noted that despite Israeli attempts to sideline the group, Washington recognises that Hamas remains an indispensable actor for any lasting settlement.

“This is a matter Netanyahu was trying to avoid,” Zweiri said, adding that the Israeli prime minister “is rebellious against US policy and international law”.

Adel Shadid, an expert in Israeli affairs, echoed this assessment, describing the direct Cairo talks as a profound strategic shift that he said would be deeply unnerving for the Israeli leadership.

“This reveals that there is a shift in the American position towards Hamas,” Shadid told Al Jazeera.

He added that Washington now views the movement differently, indicating that “Hamas is no longer the problem in the American reading, but rather part of the solution”.

Shadid emphasised that this dynamic “contradicts one of the most important goals of the war, represented by the eradication of Hamas, not only militarily but also politically”.

Ahmed Atawna, director of the Istanbul-based Vision Center for Political Development, told Al Jazeera that Palestinian factions currently hold a solid tactical negotiating posture alongside Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators.

“We can say now that the Palestinians and resistance factions — even if conditionally or tactically — are in a good negotiating position,” Atawna said.

What’s on the agenda when Kushner meets Netanyahu?

The Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth reported that US officials are increasingly frustrated that Israel is “trying to buy time, introduce new reservations, and change the sequencing set out in the roadmap”.

Citing sources familiar with the discussions, the newspaper reported that Washington feels “Israel is playing games”.

According to the daily, Kushner’s mandate during his Monday meeting with Netanyahu is not to reopen negotiations, with one source stating that he “is not coming to Israel for another round of diplomatic ping pong” but rather “is coming to close”.

The US administration is expected to push Netanyahu on halting attacks in Gaza, withdrawing forces to the “Yellow Line“, significantly increasing humanitarian aid to the Palestinian enclave and enabling the rollout of reconstruction and civilian governance mechanisms.

Why does this matter to Trump?

According to some analysts, Trump is increasingly invested in forcing a breakthrough over Gaza amid other foreign policy setbacks.

“Iran is not going the way he wants, and his attempt to separate the Lebanese file from the memorandum of understanding did not succeed,” Zweiri told Al Jazeera. “The only file where he can make a breakthrough and record it as a victory in his foreign policy is the Gaza file now.”

Eight Arab and Muslim nations, including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Qatar, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan and Turkiye, issued a joint statement condemning Israel’s rejection of the roadmap and accusing it of delaying efforts to end the genocidal war on Gaza.

They warned that rejecting the framework “constitutes an explicit refusal to proceed with the implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, and directly threatens to derail the extensive efforts exerted by US President Trump to bring an end to the war in Gaza”.

Fifteen-point plan: What’s the main dispute over?

The central dispute centres on the sequencing of obligations under the 15-point plan.

The framework calls for a phased approach involving the cessation of military operations, the gradual dismantling and storage of arms, an Israeli military withdrawal and the deployment of an International Stabilization Force working alongside a Palestinian technocratic administration.

While Hamas confirmed its acceptance of the roadmap during the Cairo meetings, it insisted that execution depends on Israel fulfilling its prior commitments and halting its daily violations of the “ceasefire” that officially came into effect last October.

Since the broader “ceasefire” agreement took effect, Israeli attacks have killed at least 1,260 Palestinians in Gaza.

Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem stated that the Cairo talks focused on placing mediators and the Board of Peace in full view of Israeli violations, emphasising that any progress requires binding Israel to the agreed-upon roadmap.

Meanwhile, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who also met Kushner, reiterated the necessity for all parties to respect the commitments made under the October 2025 Sharm el-Sheikh peace framework.