Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Iran-US war latest: Trump claims Strait of Hormuz is open with all mines removed after declaring it ‘new US territory’

Iran-US war latest: Trump claims Strait of Hormuz is open with all mines removed after declaring it ‘new US territory’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iran-us-war-live-trump-oman-hormuz-peace-nuclear-weapons-b3034640.html 

Iran-US war latest: Trump claims Strait of Hormuz is open with all mines removed after declaring it ‘new US territory’

Negotiations between the parties remain deadlocked as the waterway remains largely closed

Close
Trump casts doubt on Iran deal, says Tehran ‘cannot have a nuclear weapon’

President Donald Trump has declared the Strait of Hormuz as US territory in a new post on Truth Social.

Sharing a bizarre map of the region with a large blue circle over Hormuz, the picture declared the vital shipping route as “NEW US territory”.

“The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” he continued. “The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”

However, data shared by Kpler with The Independent shows that only ten vessels passed through on Monday, compared to 130 to 140 before the outbreak of war.

Trump added that there are “no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled” with the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Iran had earlier said the shipping route is to remain closed until the US meet the conditions agreed in an interim deal, according to Iran’s top negotiator Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf in comments shared by state media.

Conditions include lifting a marine blockade and sanctions as well as freeing Iran’s frozen assets.

President Donald Trump has separately threatened to attack Oman – a US ally – if it "gets in the way" of his efforts to force a peace deal with Iran.

44 minutes ago

Asia shares decline as worries about rising oil prices outweigh perks from strong earnings

Asian shares declined in early Tuesday trading, as rising oil prices and worries about inflation worked as a dampener on some markets, countering the optimism that had come from robust corporate earnings reports.

Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 dipped 1.6% to 68,098.54. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 edged up 0.2% to 9,088.60. South Korea's Kospi reversed course after surging earlier to drop 0.6% to 6,933.60. Hong Kong's Hang Seng lost 0.6% to 25,289.88, while the Shanghai Composite shed 0.5% to 3,963.53.

Analysts said robust earnings reports in Asia, following those from the U.S., are helping counter worries about what the war in Iran will do to the global flow of crude and its impact on energy prices. Japan, for one, imports almost all its oil.

Asia shares decline as worries about rising oil prices outweigh perks from strong earnings

Asian shares are declining, as rising oil prices and worries about inflation work as a dampener on some markets
Maira Butt18 August 2026 16:45
1 hour ago

Watch: Trump casts doubt on Iran deal, says Tehran ‘cannot have a nuclear weapon’

Trump casts doubt on Iran deal, says Tehran ‘cannot have a nuclear weapon’
Maira Butt18 August 2026 16:15
1 hour ago

Turkey condemns Israeli airstrikes on Syrian base, calls for international response

Turkey on Tuesday strongly condemned Israeli air strikes on the Abu al-Duhur air base in northwestern Syria, and called on the international community to ensure Israel is held accountable for actions which it said violated international laws.

"We call on the international community to take a more decisive stance to end Israel's escalating aggression against Syria," the ministry said in a statement.

Maira Butt18 August 2026 15:46
2 hours ago

In focus: The creation of a ‘Muslim Nato’ shows Trump is losing his grip in the Middle East

As Donald Trump continued his attacks on Iran earlier this month, a deal that could radically reshape security in the Middle East was quietly being done in Saudi Arabia.

On 7 August, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey signed the Mecca Joint Defence agreement, a Nato-style mutual defence pact that states an attack on any one of the group will be considered an attack on all.

The timing is significant. All three countries have been the target of Iranian retaliatory attacks across the Middle East since US-Israeli strikes killed supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in February.

Why new ‘Muslim Nato’ shows Trump’s authority in the Middle East has collapsed

After the chaos sparked by Trump and Israel’s war in Iran, experts tell Maira Butt that the Mecca Agreement between Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Turkey could represent a new dawn in the region
Maira Butt18 August 2026 15:00
2 hours ago

Trump says 'no talks' taking place with Iran

Donald Trump has announced that “there are no talks or conversations going on or scheduled” with the Islamic Republic of Iran in a post on Truth Social on Tuesday.

He added: “The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”

Maira Butt18 August 2026 14:34
3 hours ago

Trump declares Hormuz as US territory

President Donald Trump has declared the Strait of Hormuz as US territory in a new post on Truth Social.

Sharing a bizarre map of the region with a large blue circle over Hormuz, the picture declared the vital shipping route as “US territory”.

(Truth Social)
Maira Butt18 August 2026 14:06
3 hours ago

Trump’s approval rating falls to the lowest of his presidency, new poll finds

President Donald Trump's approval rating has fallen to the lowest level of his presidency, according to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll that concluded on Monday.

Just 33 percent of respondents in the four-day survey, down from 35 percent, said they approved of Trump's performance in the White House, while 64 per cent disapproved.

Trump's approval rating, which is now lower than at any point in his current term, has tied the lowest level of his prior term reached in December 2017.

Trump’s approval rating falls to the lowest of his presidency, new poll finds

Just 33 percent of respondents said they approved of Donald Trump’s performance in the White House
Maira Butt18 August 2026 13:50
4 hours ago

Qatar provides update on Iranian pilots and Omani talks

Qatar’s foreign ministry spokesperson says that mediators are waiting for Oman and Iran to reach a bilateral agreement on Hormuz, according to Reuters.

The country was accused of capturing three Iranian pilots after downing fighter jets, which it denies.

On Tuesday it reiterated its invitation for an Iranian delegation to visit Qatar to discuss the issue and said its appeal for the Red Cross to get involved is a “media ploy”.

The spokesperson added that agreement over the Strait of Hormuz would make it much easier to resume US-Iran talks.

Maira Butt18 August 2026 13:20
4 hours ago

In pictures: Netanyahu votes in Likud primary elections ahead of general election in October

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, takes a selfie with a supporter as he arrives to cast his ballot at his party Likud's main polling station during primary elections ahead of Israel's general election in October in Jerusalem on August 17, 2026.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, takes a selfie with a supporter as he arrives to cast his ballot at his party Likud's main polling station during primary elections ahead of Israel's general election in October in Jerusalem on August 17, 2026. (AFP/Getty)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, (C), and his wife, Sara, (C-R) arrive to cast their ballot at his party Likud's main polling station during primary elections ahead of Israel's general election in October in Jerusalem on August 17, 2026.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, (C), and his wife, Sara, (C-R) arrive to cast their ballot at his party Likud's main polling station during primary elections ahead of Israel's general election in October in Jerusalem on August 17, 2026. (AFP/Getty)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife Sara Netanyahu vote in Likud party primary elections ahead of Israel’s general election in October, in Jerusalem, Monday, August. 17, 2026.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife Sara Netanyahu vote in Likud party primary elections ahead of Israel’s general election in October, in Jerusalem, Monday, August. 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Maira Butt18 August 2026 12:50
5 hours ago

Mapped: Where is the Strait of Hormuz

Maira Butt18 August 2026 12:20

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

177Comments

|

 

Trump 2.0 has deleted or altered nearly 400 US datasets, endangering public health, education and more

Trump 2.0 has deleted or altered nearly 400 US datasets, endangering public health, education and more

 https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2026/aug/18/trump-federal-data-deleted-altered

Collage of Donald Trump
Over the past year and a half, at least 28 federal datasets have been deleted and another 338 data collections have been modified, according to dataindex.us. Illustration: Guardian Design/Getty Images

Trump 2.0 has deleted or altered nearly 400 US datasets, endangering public health, education and more

Health data appears to be most affected by administration’s attempt to wipe findings that don’t align with its priorities, tracker shows

A database of federal law enforcement officer misconduct records. A survey measuring physical, sexual and emotional violence against children and youth. Real-time pollution readings collected by air quality monitors from US embassies around the world.

These are among the hundreds of federal datasets that the Trump administration has taken down or altered as part of its aggressive campaign to wipe all mentions of data findings that do not align with the administration’s priorities.

Over the past year and a half, at least 28 federal datasets have been deleted and another 338 data collections have been modified, according to an online tracker released last week from dataindex.us, a group of data policy experts, researchers and developers that formed last year to monitor changes to government data.

“We’re at a very vulnerable point as a nation,” said Denice Ross, former US chief data scientist under the Biden administration and a co-founder of dataindex.us. “We’re facing a future where we are not going to have the information that we need to make decisions that will save lives and benefit American communities.”

The tracker includes detailed information about deleted or altered datasets from more than 60 federal agencies that span the environment, labor, law enforcement and other topics. But datasets on health appear to be the most affected by the Trump administration’s crackdown, comprising about 40% of the total number of terminated or altered data collections tracked by dataindex.us.

One of the main changes to these health datasets is that they no longer collect information on queer and trans people – as part of Donald Trump’s executive order “Defending Women from Gender Ideology Extremism and Restoring Biological Truth to the Federal Government”.

Multiple Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) surveys, for example, have removed questions about respondents’ gender identity. These include the National HIV Surveillance System, the primary source of case data for HIV infections, the National Violent Death Reporting System, the CDC Diabetes Prevention Recognition Program, the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey and specific surveys evaluating Prep uptake among gay men and in communities of color.

In addition, there are at least four health datasets that are no longer being updated at all, including the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration’s (Samhsa) Drug Abuse Warning Network, a surveillance system that doctors and public health researchers used to track drug-related emergency room visits in near real-time to spot emerging overdose trends.

“These data are critical for identifying emerging epidemics and what parts of the population are most vulnerable to different types of health conditions,” said Thomas Babor, a professor emeritus at the University of Connecticut who specializes in public health and addiction.

“We need to know what direction the trend is going, whether it’s the beginning of an end; we need to learn from prior episodes of epidemics and how they were responded to and what impact the responses had,” Babor said. “Taking down, even temporarily, some of the most important surveys that we have, especially for comparative purposes, is like we’re erasing our institutional memory for public health.”

Other deleted datasets include the US Department of Agriculture’s twice-annual survey of farm employers that counted the number of farm workers employed and their wages that informed the minimum pay rates for H-2A visa workers and a National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) survey of the pay and working conditions of teachers and principals at public and private schools across the country.

Christopher Dick, a co-founder of dataindex.us and former chief of the population evaluation, analysis and projections branch at the Census Bureau said they launched the online tracker because it was difficult to know exactly how many federal datasets had actually been deleted.

Government agencies aren’t required to notify the public when data collections are terminated, and some datasets have simply stopped updating because of a lack of staffing while others have been quietly pulled from federal websites with little notice. Some federal datasets also change or update on a regular basis, so it can be hard to figure out what is actually permanently deleted compared with a regular update.

“The question we’re trying to answer is: are certain datasets being taken away that have an impact on the American people?” Dick said.

The group identified important deleted or altered datasets through a combination of research about how the dataset was used, crowdsourcing from media reports, government employees, and people who used the datasets, monitoring social media, and tracking notices posted about proposed regulations from the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs.

The dataindex.us tracker is not a complete list, and is probably still an undercount of all the deleted or altered datasets there are, said Ross. But the hope is the tracker is just a starting point.

“We want people who depend on different datasets, some of which might be sort of obscure, to let us know what corners to look in because we don’t have full visibility,” Ross said.

The Guardian’s Deleted data series explores how critical US government information is being deleted and what the consequences will be, and will preserve or recreate lost datasets. If you know about any datasets, webpages or government materials that have been deleted or altered in the past year, or are willing to share how those changes affect you, we’d love to hear from you. Please reach out at deleted-data@theguardian.com.

Campaigns like this fund our work: can you help?
11,882 of 20,000 acts of support

Consider us impressed

Nice: you just finished reading article

the past year. It seems you really value our work. We really value you too.

We couldn’t help but notice though that while you’re a loyal Guardian reader, you’re not a recent supporter. (As you likely know, we are reader-funded. No billionaires behind the scenes here!) With dedicated people like you who haven’t contributed yet or recently, we often find one of two things are going on.

First: perhaps you simply don’t have anything to spare right now. If that's the case, we want you to know: we value your readership as much as those who can contribute, and please keep reading, as much as you like, forever. One of the wonderful values shared by Guardian readers around the globe is a desire to ease the burden for others. So ignore these appeals: our community of supporters has your back.

But if you can afford to spare something, here’s what we also know: most likely you’ve thought about giving, but for whatever perfectly human reason, you haven’t got round to it yet. So perhaps today is the day? We know – you’ve finished reading what you came to read, and you have other things to get on with. But we promise it’s quick, and even more: we promise it matters.

We survive entirely because people like you decide to respond to messages like this.

While all support is gratefully received, and even $5 helps, please consider a monthly contribution: it takes less than a minute to set up, and it’s the best way to make the biggest impact – helping sustain our fearless, independent journalism for the long haul. We’re not going anywhere; we hope you’ll stick with us too. Thank you for helping protect the non-billionaire-owned press.

Recommended

Deleted data

  • Meet the army of amateur archivists racing to save US history in national parks

  • Over 1,600 energy department webpages on utility bill savings removed as US temperatures soar

  • ‘A sanitized view of America’: inside Trump’s campaign to erase US history from national parks

  • Consumer protection agency deletes thousands of pages as Trump administration seeks to dismantle it

  • The Trump administration is deleting government data. From infant deaths to hunger, here are five ways it’s hurting Americans

  • ‘Things were going dark left and right’: the race to save US government datasets before they’re deleted

More from News

  • Media
    ABC sues Trump’s media regulator over demand for TV license renewals

  • South Korea
    South Korean president calls for military independence in wake of Trump call to cut joint drills

  • US midterm elections 2026
    Top Democrats tussle in Florida primary but progressive liberalism not on menu

  • Syria
    Death and alleged torture of man in detention sparks protests in Syria

  • Technology
    US states take on Meta in pivotal trial over child social media addiction claims

  • US immigration
    Trump administration pursues Kilmar Ábrego García on previously dismissed charges

  • Universities
    Penn State students accused of running cocaine trafficking ring at fraternity houses

  • Television
    Wladimir Klitschko pays tribute to ex-partner Hayden Panettiere: ‘She left this world too soon’