Cops attacked by Jan. 6 rioters sue Trump over reparations scheme
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2026/5/21/800042410/justice/cops-attacked-by-jan-6-rioters-sue-trump-over-reparations-scheme/
Cops attacked by Jan. 6 rioters sue Trump over reparations scheme

Two of the police officers who responded to the pro-Trump Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol are now suing the administration after it revealed plans for a taxpayer financed slush fund to reward insurrectionists and other Trump allies.
D.C. Metropolitan Police Department Officer Daniel Hodges and former U.S. Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn filed suit on Wednesday. The suit seeks to block the so-called “Anti-Weaponization Fund” created after Trump dropped his suit against the IRS and “negotiated” with his own officials to create the $1.7 billion slush fund.
In the suit the officers allege that the fund “encourages those who enacted violence in the President’s name to continue to do so.”

“These people, they should not be rewarded by the government for their attempt to overthrow the government. They tried to stop the peaceful transfer of power; they wanted to assassinate the vice president. They assaulted me and my colleagues, they instilled fear and terror in members of Congress, the staff, congressional staff,” Hodges told CBS.
“There’s no reason that the government should be giving these people money.”
More than 100 officers were assaulted by the insurrectionists, who were attempting to subvert American democracy and keep Donald Trump in office even after he lost the 2020 election to President Joe Biden.
Insurrectionists have already been discussing their plans to cash in.
Enrique Tarrio, a leader of the far-right racist group Proud Boys told Reuters “my life was all fucked up because of this” and plans to take anywhere from $2 to $5 million from the fund.

Tarrio was convicted in 2023 of seditious conspiracy. A jury convicted him after he led efforts to overthrow the government. His conviction carried a prison sentence of up to 20 years, but Tarrio was released last year after he and hundreds of other insurrectionists were pardoned by Trump.
Even pedophiles could receive money. Several of the insurrectionists released by Trump have gone on to be convicted of other crimes, including sex crimes against children. During a congressional hearing on Tuesday, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche would not rule out the possibility that funds could nonetheless be allocated to these sexual offenders because they are pro-Trump.
Democrats have blasted the slush fund and have said that it will be a major topic of investigation should they take back control of Congress following the midterm elections. Recently New York Rep. Daniel Goldman said the creation of the fund was another impeachable offense committed by Trump, the only president to twice be impeached.
Even some Republicans are feeling the heat and appear unwilling to give Trump authorization for the fund. Pennsylvania Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick told reporters on Wednesday, “We’re going to try to kill it.”
Not everyone is as excited to pay off traitors and pedophiles as Trump is, it seems.
Daily Kos is free for everyone—no paywall, no barriers. Help keep it that way
Daily Kos is committed to keeping all our content free. That's why we don't have a paywall, and never will. However, Daily Kos' revenue is down, and we may not be able to continue producing the quality of work you have come to expect from us. Donations from our readers are our largest source of income. If you value independent, accessible, paywall-free journalism, please consider making a donation today.
Conversation
All Comments