Ann Bids Farewell to Gay USA After 30 years | Gay USA 7/29/2026
Ann Bids Farewell to Gay USA After 30 years | Gay USA 7/29/2026
This Week on Gay USA:
- Ann says farewell to GAY USA after 30 years.
- Terror attack at Berlin Pride.
- Lesbian solider among four killed in Trump’s illegal war on Iran.
- Judge rules for trans service members seeking restoration of retirement benefits.
- New Dem candidate for Senate in Maine has evolved on LGBTQ issues.
- Polish President vetoes partner recognition bill.
- Uganda’s pro-LGBTQ Anglican Bishop, Christopher Senyonjo, has died.
Explore the podcast
741 episodes
Gay USA
Free Speech TV
Transcript
Follow along using the transcript.
0:00
0 seconds
[music]0:04
4 seconds
And we have to really escalate the noise we make so that we'll be heard.0:15
15 seconds
[music]0:29
29 seconds
Welcome to Gay USA. I'm Andy H here for the last time with the late Anne Northrup. No, not yet. No,0:37
37 seconds
no, no, no. Very much alive. But yes, this is my last scheduled Gay USA show.0:44
44 seconds
We look forward to your farewell address.0:48
48 seconds
Oh,
I didn't know I had to do that. But well, I mean, we have been we have
been Well, we'll stop before we do the headlines because um uh we have
been0:57
57 seconds
doing this literally for more than 30 years. We have a picture here. That is 1996 when you started on the show.1:07
1 minute, 7 seconds
It's true. Early 96, like January or February. It's incredible. It is incredible.1:14
1 minute, 14 seconds
There
we are. How do we get ourselves to look like that again? [laughter]
Well, I'm not taking OMIC uh [snorts] or dying my hair.1:22
1 minute, 22 seconds
No, but um you know, obviously uh uh such a pleasure to be with you and a lot of people want to celebrate you, an1:31
1 minute, 31 seconds
[clears throat]1:32
1 minute, 32 seconds
uh well your friends put together a retirement party for you at uh what is it?1:38
1 minute, 38 seconds
Juliuses the historic Julius Bar. This is gonna be on August 4th, next Tuesday. Tuesday, 6:00 to 8:00 PM.1:47
1 minute, 47 seconds
See, it's early for the old folks and it'll be brief, right? Uh it's not going to go for 10 hours.1:53
1 minute, 53 seconds
Well, you can do what you want, but there's a suggested donation of $25, but no one will be turned away2:00
2 minutes
and the donations go to Gay USA. This is a fundraiser for Gay USA. I'm just the2:07
2 minutes, 7 seconds
excuse. Uh but we want to support the show. continuing Andy heroically who was doing it for 10 years before I got here.2:15
2 minutes, 15 seconds
I mean, let's remember that I was booked as like a substitute co-host.2:20
2 minutes, 20 seconds
Well, the story story was I was doing it with Lee Chararmat and she went off to teach somewhere and couldn't do it2:27
2 minutes, 27 seconds
anymore
and I said, "Who can I call? Who can I call? Who can I call?" And you
know, we had worked together at Hrickchk Martin Institute for many years
and I2:36
2 minutes, 36 seconds
thought really the only person who could do this on a regular basis would be Ann Northup. And you said yes.2:43
2 minutes, 43 seconds
Who who knew? And 30 years later, we're still here. So we, you know, we start the show.2:50
2 minutes, 50 seconds
I am honored to have been asked, honored to have done 30 years with you, Andy.2:55
2 minutes, 55 seconds
And uh I think I think you are a hero for how long you've been doing this and the fact that you're continuing it. It's3:02
3 minutes, 2 seconds
much
much needed this show and I'm just ducking out because I've gotten too
old and the work has gotten to be too much and I just am ready for
something else.3:12
3 minutes, 12 seconds
And
I'm lining up people to replace me or to certainly to replace you in
the short run. Uh and you know eventually we want the show to continue.
It shouldn't3:19
3 minutes, 19 seconds
have to stop because we're uh moving on. Well, we should have fresh young voices. Uh, so I think you will be3:28
3 minutes, 28 seconds
working on that. Uh, almost anybody I book will be younger than me. Exactly.3:33
3 minutes, 33 seconds
Uh,
all right. Now, you know, we often start the show by saying how you're
feeling and how are you feeling about this about leaving. Yeah.3:40
3 minutes, 40 seconds
Uh, mixed feelings, of course. uh because there's a lot of gratification in doing the show and I've been3:48
3 minutes, 48 seconds
it
it shows with the notes I'm getting from people telling me how much the
show means to them and how much they've appreciated the work I've done
here. So3:57
3 minutes, 57 seconds
you got stopped the other day on upper Manhattan [clears throat] about this in a gas station at 167th Street by4:04
4 minutes, 4 seconds
someone who knew who said he knew me from television. But uh uh being able to have this conversation with the audience4:11
4 minutes, 11 seconds
has been very gratifying. I I finally realized I tried to boil it down and what I realized is that I have tried to4:20
4 minutes, 20 seconds
bring a couple of things to this conversation with the audience. Truth because I think we try to be much more4:28
4 minutes, 28 seconds
truth tellers than normal news anchors and insight. uh a way to understand the4:36
4 minutes, 36 seconds
uh facts we're delivering. So that's always been my goal, truth and insight.4:41
4 minutes, 41 seconds
And
to the extent I've accomplished that, I'm happy and I'm really happy
with the relationships I've developed with the audience, with you, with4:49
4 minutes, 49 seconds
everybody connected with this. So, uh I do have mixed feelings, but man, am I looking forward to a break.4:56
4 minutes, 56 seconds
Sure.
and we look forward to seeing you on Tuesday, August the 4th, 6:00 at
Julius Bar in the Village on West 10th Street. Please join us.5:05
5 minutes, 5 seconds
Everybody is welcome.5:06
5 minutes, 6 seconds
Everybody, it's just a neighborhood bar. Come hang out, right? And get to meet an [laughter] if you haven't already.5:15
5 minutes, 15 seconds
Well, and you know, we have a lot of news to process this week. the horrible story out of Berlin where one person5:22
5 minutes, 22 seconds
died and 29 were injured as a car slammed murderously into the Pride March. Uh the suspect was killed by the police.5:32
5 minutes, 32 seconds
A terrible story. Uh and these stories continue and that's why Gay USA continues. A lesbian soldier was among5:40
5 minutes, 40 seconds
the four killed in Trump's illegal war on Iran. Uh but he says they don't count because he declared the war over.5:50
5 minutes, 50 seconds
It's grotesque like everything. But a federal judge has ruled for trans service members who are just seeking5:58
5 minutes, 58 seconds
restoration of the retirement benefits they were promised.6:02
6 minutes, 2 seconds
We're getting a lot more bold judges stepping up. Democ and even Democrats are demanding that uh war secretary6:11
6 minutes, 11 seconds
Hegsth provide evidence that his testosterone boosting program is safe and effective.6:18
6 minutes, 18 seconds
What's his defense?6:22
6 minutes, 22 seconds
All right. Kash Patel is fighting discovery in a suit from an FBI agent who was fired for displaying displaying6:30
6 minutes, 30 seconds
a pride flag that was awarded to him by the FBI.6:35
6 minutes, 35 seconds
Fascinating. Trump has [clears throat] ordered content warning signs on the Smithsonian, actually on the lawn6:43
6 minutes, 43 seconds
because there was a fight over what he put in the building. So, he has warning signs on the lawn.6:48
6 minutes, 48 seconds
Yes. Cuz the Smithsonian's still controlled by an independent board unlike almost everything. Yeah.6:54
6 minutes, 54 seconds
Uh the new Democratic candidate for US Senate in Maine has evolved in his stance on LGBTQ rights and abortion.7:01
7 minutes, 1 second
I've seen him talk about it a couple of times. He's very sincere. Uh the conservative president of Poland has7:09
7 minutes, 9 seconds
vetoed a partner recognition bill that had been promised and passed by the moderate parliament.7:18
7 minutes, 18 seconds
This is a great loss. Uganda's pro-LGBTQ Anglican bishop Christopher Sanjo has died at 94.7:30
7 minutes, 30 seconds
AR oh trans USA ID workers in Nepal fired after Trump cuts to USA IDO across7:39
7 minutes, 39 seconds
the world uh are turning to his his favorite profession sex work7:46
7 minutes, 46 seconds
and uh if we have time I'll give you some of my London reviews and link to all of them on our email and go to our7:53
7 minutes, 53 seconds
email at gay usatv.org or if you want to get on our email list rather and you can get on the list and uh keep up with what8:00
8 minutes
is going on. So, let's talk about Berlin. Terrible.8:04
8 minutes, 4 seconds
Hundreds
of thousands of people come out to this thing. It they call it the
Christopher Street day there in honor of what happened on Christopher
Street in8:11
8 minutes, 11 seconds
1969. It's one of Europe's largest. And then a white van goes gets into the tear garden park around 1000 p.m.8:21
8 minutes, 21 seconds
Yeah.
They had the parade, then they were sort of in the park for a festival,
I think, and people were leaving and walking down a side street, and
the van8:29
8 minutes, 29 seconds
just came up the side street and plowed into them very deliberately.8:33
8 minutes, 33 seconds
Uh
Berlin's queer commissioner, Alfonso Pantisano, questions how a van
could even enter the park at that hour. I mean, there were 2200 police
officers on8:42
8 minutes, 42 seconds
duty uh to protect the parade there, but this happens. And one person is this guy is he crash8:51
8 minutes, 51 seconds
[clears throat]8:52
8 minutes, 52 seconds
Abdul Balut, 21 years old, uh known to have Islamist ties, radicalized,8:59
8 minutes, 59 seconds
radicalized, born in Germany, but uh of immigrant uh parents and and had been radicalized. Uh9:08
9 minutes, 8 seconds
he
had a machete, so he crashed the van and and then evidently got out of
it and was attacking people. A lot of people got cut with the machete.9:17
9 minutes, 17 seconds
Now,
this guy had a lot of trouble with the law. He's been locked up. He was
arrested in Lebanon. Spent three months in prison there for incitement.
Uh in9:26
9 minutes, 26 seconds
Germany, he was arrested again. Spent 6 months in pre-trial pre-trial detention. Then they said, "Oh, he seems sincere.9:32
9 minutes, 32 seconds
Let's let him out." Well, a lot to happen uh when you're only 21. They had had a very successful9:39
9 minutes, 39 seconds
drag march the night before uh with help uh or consultation from some of the drag march uh creators here in New York. And9:49
9 minutes, 49 seconds
that was a big success and peaceful and wonderful. And then the parade the next day and then boom.9:55
9 minutes, 55 seconds
Well, they they did have a big vigil the next day in Berlin. We have a picture of that uh to show uh at the uh at the gate10:04
10 minutes, 4 seconds
there and uh the uh prime prime minister of um chancellor, excuse me, of Germany,10:12
10 minutes, 12 seconds
Friedrich Mert spoke next to an altar draped in rainbow flags during a memorial service at St. Mary's Church on10:18
10 minutes, 18 seconds
the day after the attack. Uh I we don't know much about the victims. The woman who died apparently was Polish, but the10:25
10 minutes, 25 seconds
Berlin mayor said, you know, this is an attack on our free and cosmopolitan society.10:33
10 minutes, 33 seconds
Of course, that's what it's meant to be.10:36
10 minutes, 36 seconds
All
right. And moving on, and everybody is saying we will not be bowed.
We're going to keep marching. And of course, we are. PE, you know, these10:44
10 minutes, 44 seconds
things will happen uh as long as all that hate is out there in the world.10:49
10 minutes, 49 seconds
Well, we talk about a lot of communities under attack and sometimes I think uh not enough attention is paid to ours and10:56
10 minutes, 56 seconds
and incidents like this. So, I'm glad it that's why we have this show. Exactly. All right.11:02
11 minutes, 2 seconds
And we will also pay attention to Sergeant Angel Ramper. Rampers.11:09
11 minutes, 9 seconds
Yes.
uh who from Queens, New York, originally from Trinidad uh and
volunteered for the army here and was killed in an attack in Jordan.11:22
11 minutes, 22 seconds
Yes. Yes. Uh along with three other people.11:25
11 minutes, 25 seconds
She was an out lesbian with a wife. I'm a little disappointed that we her wife was is also serving. They met in the11:34
11 minutes, 34 seconds
military. We have not heard the wife's name. We have not seen any pictures of the wife. the wife did attend the uh11:42
11 minutes, 42 seconds
memorial service or funeral, but we have not seen her yet. She was a much decorated service member11:49
11 minutes, 49 seconds
and but her death brings the total number of US troops killed in the war with Iran to 18 until11:58
11 minutes, 58 seconds
Trump and Hegsth said that the last four soldiers killed in their war don't count since it was after Trump declared a12:07
12 minutes, 7 seconds
ceasefire that neither we nor Iran have ever abided by. Well, it's it's insane. It's insulting.12:14
12 minutes, 14 seconds
It's disgusting. Uh but that's the way they want to run things.12:18
12 minutes, 18 seconds
And it's important because you know uh when you die in [snorts] a war, when you even participate in a war, you have all12:27
12 minutes, 27 seconds
kinds of benefits that that come with it that don't come to other service members.12:32
12 minutes, 32 seconds
Well, she was promoted postumously as were others. Uh but I don't know what well I mean Trump even went to the you12:41
12 minutes, 41 seconds
know
receive when she landed and her body landed in Dover. He was there and
he talked about the 18 people who were killed. But then of course since
he's12:49
12 minutes, 49 seconds
demented he forgot that the next day and went to this 14 number.12:54
12 minutes, 54 seconds
I don't know that he forgot it. He just was convinced to make a change. Let's not make excuses for him. Exactly.13:02
13 minutes, 2 seconds
All right. uh uh you know, Trump at Trump at the White House correspondents dinner uh talk about being certifiably insane, an13:11
13 minutes, 11 seconds
hourong
string of insults. The less said about that, the better. But on Sunday
morning, Trump posted an AI altered image showing CNN journalist Caitlyn13:20
13 minutes, 20 seconds
Collins face superimposed on on trans actress Dylan Mulaney.13:25
13 minutes, 25 seconds
and
she responded, "My name is Dylan Mulaney and the president of the
United States and my name in his speech said my name four times on
Friday night." She13:33
13 minutes, 33 seconds
sounded amazed that three years after the Bud Light controversy, the president remembered her. Yes.13:39
13 minutes, 39 seconds
Uh uh Trump completely distorted said this this cost Bud Light $35 billion.13:47
13 minutes, 47 seconds
Um but you know, Mulaney took the opportunity to say th this is the time.13:52
13 minutes, 52 seconds
I'm sounding the alarm. We need you to stand up for us, trans people. Vote for us, um, donate to our causes, hire us,14:00
14 minutes
and support the businesses who hire us, but most importantly, love us. Yeah. All right. All right.14:08
14 minutes, 8 seconds
Federal judge in DC has rejected the Trump administrations to knock out most of the transgender service members out14:15
14 minutes, 15 seconds
of a lawsuit over military retirement benefits that the Air Force had approved and then abruptly cancelled. So this is14:23
14 minutes, 23 seconds
Judge Elaine Kaplan there from the US Court of Federal Claims, an appointee of presidents Obama and Biden. And she14:32
14 minutes, 32 seconds
denied the Justice Department attempt to dismiss this and gave a great decision.14:38
14 minutes, 38 seconds
She's a judge who was when she was a lawyer who was honored by uh the ABA for her work on LGBTQ issues. And another14:47
14 minutes, 47 seconds
judge is cross-examining uh the Department of Defense and Hegsth on this14:55
14 minutes, 55 seconds
uh their ongoing lawsuit challenging uh now our side has a lawsuit challenging the15:03
15 minutes, 3 seconds
ban on trans in the military. So, the judge is asking, "What the hell is going on with this testosterone testing and15:11
15 minutes, 11 seconds
provision? Uh, and why is it that you are throwing people out for being trans uh because they would require ongoing15:20
15 minutes, 20 seconds
medical help when you're willing to do that for all these uh cisgender troops?"15:27
15 minutes, 27 seconds
The uh the judge said the armed forces must adhere to high No, I'm sorry. Sorry15:35
15 minutes, 35 seconds
for my wandering around. Uh the transban that the defense department wants to implement said the armed forces must15:44
15 minutes, 44 seconds
adhere to high mental and physical health standards without the benefit of routine medical treatment or special uh15:52
15 minutes, 52 seconds
provisions unless we decide that we want to give them all testosterone.15:56
15 minutes, 56 seconds
Right? So Senate Democrats have are wrote a big letter saying wait a minute how does this work? I mean, what is this16:05
16 minutes, 5 seconds
safe? Is this effective? All this fooling around with with testosterone.16:10
16 minutes, 10 seconds
It carries known risks and requires careful diagnosis and long-term medical monitoring. And you're fooling around16:17
16 minutes, 17 seconds
with it with your shots, lower sperm counts. Oh. Uh, at least. Yeah.16:23
16 minutes, 23 seconds
So,
that, [clears throat] you know, they're trying to at least get them to
study it before they launch into this thing. But again, he's got a
secretary16:31
16 minutes, 31 seconds
of HHS who was totally uh wacko. And yes, uh I'm just looking. Uh yes.16:39
16 minutes, 39 seconds
And by the way, the Trump administration is ending its LGBTQ plus veteran care coordinator program, which has helped16:47
16 minutes, 47 seconds
LGBTQ veterans find competent, inclusive care for the past 10 years. But in good news, the House of Representatives16:55
16 minutes, 55 seconds
defeated a proposal uh from Lauren Boowart uh to add an amendment to the17:02
17 minutes, 2 seconds
defense appropriations bill to ban trans people from the military. All the Democrats and four Republicans voted17:10
17 minutes, 10 seconds
against it and it went down to defeat in they're worried about the midterms. some of those Republicans, some of them.17:16
17 minutes, 16 seconds
And
this show, you know, again, this is the kind of thing that the House
could pass, but they didn't in this case, but that the Senate would
block using the filibuster.17:26
17 minutes, 26 seconds
Yes.
Uh although I worry about the filibuster, but I think the Republicans,
the one thing they understand is that if they get rid of the filibuster,
they're17:34
17 minutes, 34 seconds
screwed down the road. Meanwhile, uh, James Dale, who you remember for having sued to get into the Boy Scouts when17:42
17 minutes, 42 seconds
they wanted to keep him out because he was gay, and he lost that suit because the court ruled that the Boy Scouts17:51
17 minutes, 51 seconds
could make their own decisions about who they admitted.17:54
17 minutes, 54 seconds
Private organization, they can do what they want, right? So, uh, he says, "All right, well, if that's true, then how come you,18:02
18 minutes, 2 seconds
the defense department, are trying to tell Scouting America who they can have after you've won this lawsuit that said,18:09
18 minutes, 9 seconds
uh, you know, you can the Boy Scouts can make their own decisions." So, he's he's pursuing that because Scouting America,18:18
18 minutes, 18 seconds
uh, wanted to have trans, but is now backing down and saying they will ban trans because they're so dependent on18:25
18 minutes, 25 seconds
the military. So much of their operation takes place on military bases and Mormon18:33
18 minutes, 33 seconds
church controlled spaces. So they are worried.18:36
18 minutes, 36 seconds
Did the Mormons set up their own scouting thing?18:39
18 minutes, 39 seconds
Probably. Yeah. Uh but uh the scouting America is backing down uh from the defense department and18:48
18 minutes, 48 seconds
he is challenging that and asking for uh revealing the uh the background18:56
18 minutes, 56 seconds
materials on that. And the Congressional Equality Caucus for LGBT stuff is uh contains no Republicans, but they wrote19:04
19 minutes, 4 seconds
to
the to the Secretary of HUD, Housing and Urban Development, [snorts]
Scott Turner, you know, urging the immediate withdrawal of their19:13
19 minutes, 13 seconds
proposed rule, which would gut existing protections for LGBTQ plus individuals19:19
19 minutes, 19 seconds
and
require HUD funded shelters to discriminate against transgender people,
some of the most homeless people in the world and where are they
supposed to go?19:30
19 minutes, 30 seconds
You know, we're keeping a lot of people in business by our very existence. So many lawsuits, so much uh legislation.19:38
19 minutes, 38 seconds
I mean, this this new rule would force them to discriminate.19:42
19 minutes, 42 seconds
All right. Um politics. Wait. Well, what what are we going on to?19:50
19 minutes, 50 seconds
Okay.
Have that. We'll find another story for you here [laughter] among all
these. No, we got a lot of politics to cover. Okay. Starting with19:59
19 minutes, 59 seconds
Well, it was nice to see them the the United States withdraw their subpoenas to the New York Times. Yes.20:05
20 minutes, 5 seconds
Uh uh over the the leaks over the plane.20:09
20 minutes, 9 seconds
So, not so nice to see that they uh and I can't believe that they admitted to20:17
20 minutes, 17 seconds
cancelling grants to states that did not vote for Trump. To me, this is like the number20:25
20 minutes, 25 seconds
one story of the week. They they had to admit that they cancelled grants to20:31
20 minutes, 31 seconds
organizations, two states that voted for Kla Harris. They're holding up all the20:39
20 minutes, 39 seconds
uh transportation funds, billions of dollars in transportation funds to blue states.20:45
20 minutes, 45 seconds
Well, yes, and it's it's unbelievable that they're doing this. Uh and these are congressionally20:52
20 minutes, 52 seconds
appropriated funds. Yes. And no one is the courts are for the most part or Supreme Court especially are not21:00
21 minutes
making them fulfill the contracts that they they they're just running wild. They're completely rogue. They pay no attention21:08
21 minutes, 8 seconds
to court decisions. They're doing exactly what I mean. It's like what Orban did in Hungary. Uh you know, and21:15
21 minutes, 15 seconds
getting it all back. Well, they seem to be doing a good job. Mark Elias, the great election expert who has done these21:22
21 minutes, 22 seconds
dozens and dozens of suits that have defeated Trump on the 2020 election claims, is now warning that Trump wants21:30
21 minutes, 30 seconds
all
these voter lists from around the country from all states so that he
can disenfranchise uh half the voters in the country, the21:39
21 minutes, 39 seconds
Democrats, the women, uh anyone who he thinks may vote against him. And it's the exact same thing. And he21:47
21 minutes, 47 seconds
and
if that doesn't work, we're sending troops to polling places. Yeah.
Which has not been ruled out by that Mark, whatever his name is, uh the
guy running uh Homeland Security.21:58
21 minutes, 58 seconds
Uh Mullen. Yeah. Mark McNain. Main Mullen.22:03
22 minutes, 3 seconds
Whatever
his name is. His grammar is not very good, by the way. [laughter] All
right. So, now we told you about this guy, David Maltinsky. He worked
for22:13
22 minutes, 13 seconds
the FBI 16 years. They g during a pride thing, they gave him a pride flag. He put it on his desk when he was when the22:20
22 minutes, 20 seconds
FBI was still being run by semi-sane people. And so this was noticed and by22:27
22 minutes, 27 seconds
Cash Patel and he got a letter saying he had exercised poor judgment with inappropriate display of political22:35
22 minutes, 35 seconds
signage. See, we're our existence is political. Our being a woman is political. Yes. What? Being trans is22:42
22 minutes, 42 seconds
political. It's not human. if you are not a uh white cis male, any mention of your existence is considered political.22:52
22 minutes, 52 seconds
So he's suing and Cash Patel is trying to avoid discovery of this case.22:57
22 minutes, 57 seconds
Discovery is a great thing. You know, the Trump's suing the BBC for saying that he incited the riot on on January23:06
23 minutes, 6 seconds
6th 6th back then and 2021.23:10
23 minutes, 10 seconds
They're
saying fine, give us all your files. Let's see all your emails and your
tweets and everything else and private stuff and your family, too. And23:20
23 minutes, 20 seconds
I I I bet he's going to withdraw that suit.23:23
23 minutes, 23 seconds
Well, yes. And uh and this is why we know that why they had to admit that they defunded uh half the states and23:32
23 minutes, 32 seconds
organizations discovery. Anyway, so the only uh uh apparently at the FBI people23:41
23 minutes, 41 seconds
display thin blue line flags, Gadsen, don't tread on me flags, uh other things. And he, you know, he's saying,23:49
23 minutes, 49 seconds
by the way, the administration also cancelled uh uh grants to organizations23:56
23 minutes, 56 seconds
around uh sex education and uh preventive uh materials because they promote24:06
24 minutes, 6 seconds
premarital sex. Now, we've been hearing this for 40 years, forever. and and we urge you young24:12
24 minutes, 12 seconds
people who may may need to know some things about sex. It's all on the internet.24:19
24 minutes, 19 seconds
Well, the new rules for funding uh from the administration say that your organization must stress abstinence24:27
24 minutes, 27 seconds
where have we heard that before marriage only heterosexual marriage certainly procreation24:34
24 minutes, 34 seconds
and
protecting fertility. Well, if you want to protect fertility, don't
give men testosterone because that lowers their sperm counts.24:43
24 minutes, 43 seconds
And
by the way, I'm not recommending porn sites for the education. I'm
reanding responsible things. There's advocates for youth in Washington,
many24:51
24 minutes, 51 seconds
youth organizations all over the country that can provide the information that you need.24:57
24 minutes, 57 seconds
And uh what are you recommending for the new name for Penn Station? [laughter] Well, you know, Trump said, why do we25:05
25 minutes, 5 seconds
call
it Penn Station? It's not in Pennsylvania, you know. Why don't you name
it after me? [laughter] Um, yeah. Well, luckily at the moment, New York
is holding the line on that.25:16
25 minutes, 16 seconds
I
would like it just called New York Station. I would like uh to take a
lot of names like the off things like the Pennsylvania Railroad, I'm
sure,25:24
25 minutes, 24 seconds
[clears throat]25:25
25 minutes, 25 seconds
which doesn't exist anymore, right?25:26
25 minutes, 26 seconds
I don't know. I'm not We all know it is Penn Station. Why do we have to change it?25:32
25 minutes, 32 seconds
Well, then you can't have your hundred billion dollars. Well, what about giving Saudi Arabia nuclear capability?25:41
25 minutes, 41 seconds
It's all a deal to give Jared Kushner more money. Exactly. And Trump. Yeah.25:46
25 minutes, 46 seconds
All right. So, let's talk about the Smithsonian.25:49
25 minutes, 49 seconds
Okay. Well, so you know, as I said, it does have its own board and they're not into this, but Trump wants warning signs25:59
25 minutes, 59 seconds
uh on to say that essentially uh that it there what is in this museum does not accurately reflect what America is.26:10
26 minutes, 10 seconds
Yes. Does not tell the truth about history like slavery was not so bad.26:14
26 minutes, 14 seconds
It's like a warning thing on cigarette cases packages. except the opposite.26:21
26 minutes, 21 seconds
Right. So, you know, they're they're resisting this. I mean, the woman in charge of this heart. Yes.26:29
26 minutes, 29 seconds
Yes. Is just uh um awful. She especially objected to uh an exhibit that said,26:36
26 minutes, 36 seconds
"Girlhood, it's complicated." Discussing struggles with gender identity among young women. We just want to bury all26:43
26 minutes, 43 seconds
this stuff and just talk about uh what it was like in the 1950s or maybe the 1850s.26:51
26 minutes, 51 seconds
All right. Meanwhile, the White House is cutting $46 million in grants to 96 uh US HIV organizations. That's lovely.27:02
27 minutes, 2 seconds
That will cut uh a lot of help to people who need it. And uh the US aid to the27:09
27 minutes, 9 seconds
extent it still exists uh but exists uh is cutting all over the world and uh27:17
27 minutes, 17 seconds
taking jobs away in countries all over the world and there's a report from Nepal that AIDS workers who are now out27:24
27 minutes, 24 seconds
of a job uh are taking to sex work especially transgender uh uh workers.27:32
27 minutes, 32 seconds
So, you want to get into some uh states and politics and stuff like that?27:36
27 minutes, 36 seconds
Yes. Uh do we want to talk about are we going to get to the uh Tate brothers or save them? We'll get to them. We'll get to them.27:44
27 minutes, 44 seconds
They're so disgusting. Okay.27:46
27 minutes, 46 seconds
All right. So, state of Maine, Graeme Platner had to drop out when his Thank heavens27:54
27 minutes, 54 seconds
bad bad habits came to light. So, the new candidate is State Senate President Troy Jackson, a former lumber logger.28:04
28 minutes, 4 seconds
Logger. He was a logger. Fifth generation logger.28:07
28 minutes, 7 seconds
And he's from way north in Maine. Way north.28:11
28 minutes, 11 seconds
This is a good story cuz he he didn't he wasn't always down with gay rights and abortion. He voted against uh the state28:18
28 minutes, 18 seconds
bill in 2009 to legalize samesex marriage in Maine, one of only two Democrats to do so. and he voted in28:25
28 minutes, 25 seconds
favor of a ban on conversion therapy. Uh but now Equality Maine gives them a 100% rating.28:32
28 minutes, 32 seconds
He is amazingly eloquent talking about this and he's a simple guy, but I've heard him uh interviewed on the radio.28:40
28 minutes, 40 seconds
I've heard seen interviews with him on TV. He is asked about it and he is so28:46
28 minutes, 46 seconds
forthright, so honest and so sincere about how he was wrong. He talked to a28:54
28 minutes, 54 seconds
lot of people uh and realized the need for abortion as reproductive uh health care and he does not shy away from29:03
29 minutes, 3 seconds
saying the word abortion. He just is right out about it. And same with gay rights and how wrong he was to be29:11
29 minutes, 11 seconds
against marriage. and he's just a lovely sincere guy which is what we are working for that29:18
29 minutes, 18 seconds
some
people can be brought around on these issues who opposed us and he did
the research he didn't just look at the uh polling he talked to29:27
29 minutes, 27 seconds
people and that is uh just heartwarming we'd like the pope to come around he's not perfect29:34
29 minutes, 34 seconds
no by the way uh this Andy Bernham who's the new prime minister of England Britain and one of of his famous quotes is pope29:43
29 minutes, 43 seconds
needs
to get with the program and come out for same-sex marriage. You know,
he's Catholic. [laughter] Catholic prime minister in Britain.29:51
29 minutes, 51 seconds
There have been crypto Catholics before like Tony Blair, but this guy's Catholic.29:56
29 minutes, 56 seconds
All right. So, there's a director of LGBTQI uh policy at the Center for American Progress. Who's a trans man, transwoman?30:09
30 minutes, 9 seconds
Uh Calb Smith. Okay. Trans.30:13
30 minutes, 13 seconds
Caleb sounds Caleb. Caleb.30:16
30 minutes, 16 seconds
It sounds like a trans man. [snorts] I don't know. Says Democrats should support trans in the military, the30:24
30 minutes, 24 seconds
Equality Act for non-discrimination of everybody, including trans. uh should support care for trans youth but should30:33
30 minutes, 33 seconds
leave sports and uh school trans issues to locals and sports organizations which is what's happened30:42
30 minutes, 42 seconds
and which is what we've been saying you know in some of these cases you need individual I'm not so sure about school30:49
30 minutes, 49 seconds
stuff but for sports individual uh assessments I think is not inappropriate because what we're heading for what the30:56
30 minutes, 56 seconds
administration wants is every single girl in this country. Yeah.31:01
31 minutes, 1 second
To be uh genally tested and examined before they can participate in sports31:10
31 minutes, 10 seconds
and probably most other things. It's unbelievable.31:14
31 minutes, 14 seconds
It
just shows their contempt for women, right? And they're going to be
anti-trans ballots initiatives. We've been talking about this in five
states.31:23
31 minutes, 23 seconds
Arizona,
Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, and Washington. And you know, we're very
concerned about these things. Um, the one in Washington uh would Where
is it?31:36
31 minutes, 36 seconds
I'm
sorry. Well, anyway, these these are things to be alarmed about. We'll
link to an article about well in Louisiana in Bojer Parish uh31:45
31 minutes, 45 seconds
they are instituting criminal penalties for trans people using the wrong I put31:51
31 minutes, 51 seconds
that in quotes single sex uh bathroom in and other facilities in public buildings criminal penalties.31:59
31 minutes, 59 seconds
Yeah. What Washington would do is uh target transgender people in sports, medical care, and in Arizona's case,32:08
32 minutes, 8 seconds
bathrooms, locker rooms, and schools with uh funding tracked by a uh the groundbreaking32:16
32 minutes, 16 seconds
new ballotedia investigation that have brought all these to light. Uh, by the way, second transwoman has reported that32:23
32 minutes, 23 seconds
she had sex with Lindsey Graham, who was quite enthusiastic, identified himself as a bottom, and uh, reported the32:32
32 minutes, 32 seconds
details of it. And I just felt watching his uh, funeral service that I was so s well, I'll watch anything almost. Uh,32:41
32 minutes, 41 seconds
but I was sorry I never met him. So, I could say, "Look, Lindsay, you are really a disgusting hypocrite." And uh32:49
32 minutes, 49 seconds
and really it would be nice if you were out as a man in power about who you are, but really you are a war criminal for32:58
32 minutes, 58 seconds
everything
you've done against the LGBTQ community and a war criminal in general. I
mean, Trump said Lindsay never saw a war he didn't like.33:06
33 minutes, 6 seconds
And
then then Sean Hannity, I don't know if it was before or afterwards, I
only saw the clips. Sean Hannity gets up and says, "Everybody said he
was a wararmonger. You definitely know me.33:15
33 minutes, 15 seconds
This
is untrue." It's just I can't I can't watch this. This is why people
watch things like cooking shows and sports because you see things that
actually are meaningful in life.33:25
33 minutes, 25 seconds
[laughter]
I'm not serious. This is the way I felt watching the Fouchy hearing
today because it was all just political theater that totally unserious
the33:34
33 minutes, 34 seconds
Republicans about everything. It's just to boost their vote in the midterm elections. And Fouchy just kept saying33:41
33 minutes, 41 seconds
Fouchy just kept saying I take the fifth amendment uh because I'm not playing your game.33:46
33 minutes, 46 seconds
And because I know that if I say anything then I will be prosecuted for lying. And Josh Hol, what what color is the cup on33:55
33 minutes, 55 seconds
your desk there? I take the fifth amendment.33:59
33 minutes, 59 seconds
Ran Paul, do you have a red folder there in front of you?34:03
34 minutes, 3 seconds
They think it's so clever. Let the record show that the witness would not answer whether he had a red folder on the uh desk.34:11
34 minutes, 11 seconds
All right.34:11
34 minutes, 11 seconds
Uh Kim Davis is back. [laughter] Yes, she's the Kentucky clerk and she wouldn't give a marriage license to34:19
34 minutes, 19 seconds
same-sex couples. These two guys, David Mold and David Moore, they successfully sued her. They were awarded well $560,000.34:30
34 minutes, 30 seconds
So
now there she has not paid. Now they're going after her because she
inherited several parcels of land after her mother's death in 2025.34:41
34 minutes, 41 seconds
Immediately
transferred those properties to family members rather than keeping them
in her own name so she could avoid having to pay what she owes these
guys.34:50
34 minutes, 50 seconds
So they're going after that money. It's a it's called a look back. They do it if you tried to hide your parents' money34:57
34 minutes, 57 seconds
when
they going into the home. you know, they say, "Wait a minute, that's
not, you know, we can the government can have that money."35:05
35 minutes, 5 seconds
Jeffrey Epstein had his girlfriend marry uh a woman, one of his victims, so that she could get uh US citizenship.35:15
35 minutes, 15 seconds
I resent that, Jack. What a crowd. What a crowd. Yeah.35:18
35 minutes, 18 seconds
All
right. So, I think we told you about the Christian man who sued the
government after claiming aophobia, pride flags. He lost his religious35:28
35 minutes, 28 seconds
discrimination
uh case. Um he didn't like being subjected to pride imagery or hearing
colleagues using different pronouns at work.35:38
35 minutes, 38 seconds
Well, luckily he lost.35:40
35 minutes, 40 seconds
Roman Catholic with evangelical Christian.35:43
35 minutes, 43 seconds
Katie Foust in Seattle, uh daughter of a lesbian, has started an anti-same35:50
35 minutes, 50 seconds
marriage campaign. billboards which are going to be put up nationally. Boy, uh financed by Hobby Lobby.35:59
35 minutes, 59 seconds
What happened there?36:00
36 minutes
Uh to her with her mother's I don't know.36:03
36 minutes, 3 seconds
Uh but she uh the po the billboards will say no child has two dads, no child has two36:12
36 minutes, 12 seconds
moms. Well, that is so wrong in so many ways.36:16
36 minutes, 16 seconds
Uh but look out for those. She started a group called Them Before Us, whatever that means.36:21
36 minutes, 21 seconds
A follow up on the swatting of Pete Buddha Judge. There was this turns out relatively crazy woman who uh36:29
36 minutes, 29 seconds
said, "Oh, he talked to me in Alabama and he and I learned all about the how he's abusing his children and you have36:36
36 minutes, 36 seconds
to
look into this." But the thing is, they didn't look into it. They just
did what the normal regular procedure is, which is okay, you now have to
talk to36:45
36 minutes, 45 seconds
you separately from your kids and they separate you and it's it's very traumatizing. They didn't look into her.36:52
36 minutes, 52 seconds
Well, now they have and they found out that this was a totally bogus claim. The woman is uh mentally unstable and uh37:01
37 minutes, 1 second
there just was no substance to this at all. But I'm sure that if Pete Buddhajed attempts to run for president, there's37:09
37 minutes, 9 seconds
going to be a whisper campaign on the right wing saying, you know, he was accused of abusing his children.37:15
37 minutes, 15 seconds
Well,
I mean, Trump was convicted of abusing, you know, all kinds of women,
and that didn't seem to stop them from voting for him.37:24
37 minutes, 24 seconds
They're back in court over the Eene Carroll $83 million award. Uh in New37:30
37 minutes, 30 seconds
York City, uh the mayor put together an educational advisory panel. No LGBTQ representation. I thought that was a big mistake.37:39
37 minutes, 39 seconds
I think that's how as well as the judicial uh panel with no Jews. Crazy. Crazy. Yeah.37:46
37 minutes, 46 seconds
Although his corp council is Jewish who was going to make the decisions. I agree with you. I follow all these things and37:53
37 minutes, 53 seconds
I look for representation especially on education where we have we have not achieved any equality in the education system.38:01
38 minutes, 1 second
Uh
terrible story out of Florida. Tyler Getel, 30 years old, has been
sentenced to seven years in prison. He had gay neighbors. No, that's not
that picture.38:12
38 minutes, 12 seconds
Take that picture away. Uh he had gay neighbors who he hated for being uh gay.38:20
38 minutes, 20 seconds
So he uh he he put signs in his window that said f you and he didn't38:29
38 minutes, 29 seconds
just say f. He smeared dog feces on their house. And then finally he shot38:36
38 minutes, 36 seconds
the neighbor Kyle McFarland in the back who is now partially paralyzed. This is just cuz he freaked out because he had a38:44
38 minutes, 44 seconds
gay neighborh and he has been now convicted and assigned to seven years in prison.38:50
38 minutes, 50 seconds
And again, all this hatred gets fermented by uh the right-wing media, including Fox News and everything, you38:59
38 minutes, 59 seconds
know,
and people like Lindsey Graham, you know, the the right-wing party in
Germany where the where the incident happened that we talked about at
the top39:07
39 minutes, 7 seconds
of
the show. Oh, this proves that we can't have these immigrants, these
is, you know, Islam Islamic immigrants in this country. They're an
anti-gay party.39:17
39 minutes, 17 seconds
Where do you think he gets some of his ideas?39:19
39 minutes, 19 seconds
Yeah. Uh, and now that picture of Jayla McGee McGee, uh, 19 years old transwoman39:28
39 minutes, 28 seconds
in Belglade, Florida, shot dead in the midst of her transition, loved dearly by39:37
39 minutes, 37 seconds
family and friends. We don't have more details than that yet, but another uh, victim of this hatred.39:45
39 minutes, 45 seconds
International news.39:46
39 minutes, 46 seconds
Yes. So, they got a new prime minister while I was over there in England.39:50
39 minutes, 50 seconds
Another Andy, Andy Bernham, the mayor of Manchester. Um, so he's going to try to save the Labor Party from losing to the39:58
39 minutes, 58 seconds
fascist reform party led by Nigel Farage. Now, there there's Burnham on the on the right. He has appointed the40:05
40 minutes, 5 seconds
health secretary Streer uh as Wester as as his new minister of defense. So, this is the guy who has to deal with Pete Hexath.40:16
40 minutes, 16 seconds
They've
already had a conversation. I wish I could have listened to that. Um
anyway, so he's an outgay man. Um West Reading is an outgay man.40:26
40 minutes, 26 seconds
Yeah. Yes. Okay. West Reading is outgay.40:29
40 minutes, 29 seconds
Uh but he stopped puberty blockers for trans youth. He is a very conservative40:35
40 minutes, 35 seconds
guy, right? uh not I mean the these folks will say certain good things about you know trans rights and things but40:43
40 minutes, 43 seconds
they have pulled back and that's not good.40:46
40 minutes, 46 seconds
They should go to the Netherlands where they have gotten but but the the new the new foreign40:52
40 minutes, 52 seconds
minister is Ed Miband uh who uh once said of Trump he lowered the bar for41:00
41 minutes
idiocy and Trump is furious about this appointment that he has to deal with this guy. Okay. Uh, also in the UK,41:09
41 minutes, 9 seconds
Booker Prize nominations are out. The big favorite seems to be Malcolm Marlon James, The Disappearers, a novel about41:18
41 minutes, 18 seconds
an anti-gay hate crime in Jamaica. He's won the Booker before. And also41:25
41 minutes, 25 seconds
nominated is a guy named Douglas Stewart for his book John of John, which is about a gay man returning to his41:34
41 minutes, 34 seconds
Scotland farm home and his abusive father.41:38
41 minutes, 38 seconds
And
say what you want about the United Kingdom, but they are trying to
extradite the Tate brothers from the United States to face multiple
charges41:46
41 minutes, 46 seconds
of rape and sex trafficking. And uh the interesting news this week is that even41:54
41 minutes, 54 seconds
though Baron Trump is friendly with them and what's uh uh Donald Jr. Yes.42:01
42 minutes, 1 second
Marco Rubio thinks they're disgusting and he's in charge of making this decision about and he's not standing in42:08
42 minutes, 8 seconds
the way of the extradition. So far, excuse me, they are facing 59 charges including rape and human trafficking.42:18
42 minutes, 18 seconds
Uh, in other literature news from uh, the UK, Cambridge professor Sarah Dylan has transcribed uh, Allan Turing's42:28
42 minutes, 28 seconds
uh, short story Price's buoy after that he wrote after his after his 1952 arrest.42:37
42 minutes, 37 seconds
It's kind of about that.42:38
42 minutes, 38 seconds
Yes. Uh, a relationship between a gay academic and a sex worker and now it's legible.42:46
42 minutes, 46 seconds
You know, I read this when I was over there and didn't write it down for this show. That's my job.42:52
42 minutes, 52 seconds
Okay.
Uh, in Poland, the conservative, now they have elected a moderate
government and they're in charge of the parliament. They have a prime
minister,43:01
43 minutes, 1 second
Donald Tusk, who passed a relationship recognition bill, but the president narrowly elected is still a43:07
43 minutes, 7 seconds
conservative, Carol Noaki, and he vetoed the bill. and he said, "I've always emphasized that nothing43:15
43 minutes, 15 seconds
that is a quasi marriage can count on my support and I am a guardian of the constitution and it marriages between a43:23
43 minutes, 23 seconds
man
and a woman. So they will need three-fifths to override them and I
don't know that they have that." Holland's in transition. Uh43:31
43 minutes, 31 seconds
so we'll see what happens. Uh in Romania, they have tried to stop the43:38
43 minutes, 38 seconds
annual Oradea Pride march. They've rejected it for four years, the government of Romania, but organizers43:46
43 minutes, 46 seconds
this year submitted in trying to get it approved. They submitted a hundred possible roots for43:53
43 minutes, 53 seconds
the parade. They still got turned down, but they still did the march.43:58
43 minutes, 58 seconds
Listen,
we had this problem when we tried to do an alternate St. Patrick's Day
parade on Fifth Avenue when we were excluded from the main one. and uh
the44:07
44 minutes, 7 seconds
the
police commissioner, Edard Dinkens, who was my friend, uh said, "Oh, we
can't handle that." Well, here behind us is a picture of44:14
44 minutes, 14 seconds
someone
getting arrested in 1997 at the St. Patrick's Day parade protest. I
think you can get a You got a shot. You have a shot of that44:23
44 minutes, 23 seconds
there, don't you? Yeah. There we go. Closer.44:28
44 minutes, 28 seconds
That's That's uh That's me. 1997 getting arrested by many cops. And again, I was44:36
44 minutes, 36 seconds
I was one of Dinkens's human rights commissioners. But at that protest, yeah, 200 and something people were arrested.44:43
44 minutes, 43 seconds
I
said I wrote him a note, sent it to Fax to Gracie Mansion.
Congratulations, David. You're now responsible for the largest mass
arrest of gay people in New44:52
44 minutes, 52 seconds
York history. [laughter] And I said, just let us have our own march.44:57
44 minutes, 57 seconds
We had offered to march peacefully up Fifth Avenue hours before the regular uh St. Patrick's Day march45:05
45 minutes, 5 seconds
in 1991, you know, David invited the gays to march with him and he was very great about that. So anyway, St.45:12
45 minutes, 12 seconds
Patrick's Day. Well, speaking of uh let's let's go to uh Uganda uh the45:19
45 minutes, 19 seconds
Anglican Bishop Christopher Seenjo uh who had campaigned for LGBTQ rights and paid the price has died at the age45:27
45 minutes, 27 seconds
of 94. There he is marching in a I guess a pride march or a gay demonstration.45:33
45 minutes, 33 seconds
um he was with the community all the time. He he did pay the price. They kind of isolated him, you know, took away his45:41
45 minutes, 41 seconds
his uh some of his jobs. Uh but he did this throughout his entire life.45:46
45 minutes, 46 seconds
He told the right-wing uh US Christians who were bringing homophobia to Africa45:53
45 minutes, 53 seconds
uh to cut it out and stop doing that evangelizing on the continent. He firmly believed and always stated that one46:00
46 minutes
doesn't need to be converted first to another sexuality to be loved by his God.46:07
46 minutes, 7 seconds
And
we talked about and he he took in two gay youths who were thrown out of
their homes at one time. I mean it's just a tre I'm going to link to a
lengthy obituary because46:16
46 minutes, 16 seconds
such an important figure. Oh, and let's put up the other picture. He received the Clinton Global Citizen Award for46:23
46 minutes, 23 seconds
LGBTQ rights for his outstanding work in the field and um it was presented by Bill Clinton.46:30
46 minutes, 30 seconds
There you go. Uh [snorts] we talked about appointments by the new uh46:36
46 minutes, 36 seconds
prime minister of England. Uh France uh has a new minister of civil rights appointed by Mcronone. Uh this new46:45
46 minutes, 45 seconds
minister of civil rights marched against same-sex marriage rights. opposes same-sex marriage, reproductive46:53
46 minutes, 53 seconds
assistance, abortion, and health care for immigrants.46:57
46 minutes, 57 seconds
Emmanuel, this isn't going to save your party in the next election from the right wing. Le Pen, that's the attempt.47:05
47 minutes, 5 seconds
Uh, he only got like them is not the way to get elected. He only got it past 43 to 39.47:13
47 minutes, 13 seconds
The whole point of these elections is that if you are uh bold and smart and honest enough to stand up for your real47:22
47 minutes, 22 seconds
values, you stand a much better chance of getting elected than trying to pretend that you're halfway to theirs.47:30
47 minutes, 30 seconds
Democratic party needs to learn this. Exactly.47:32
47 minutes, 32 seconds
All right. News from the intern Exactly. As my t-shirt back there says.47:36
47 minutes, 36 seconds
News from the International AIDS Conference going on in Rio where vending machines have prep. Yes.47:43
47 minutes, 43 seconds
Uh but of course uh Gilead which you know developed says a cappa beer.47:50
47 minutes, 50 seconds
Yes. Uh they tested it in Brazil and they're not making it available to Brazil.47:55
47 minutes, 55 seconds
Well
Gilead has a very checkered record but Merc has has developed this pill
that you can take. It's only in development. It's only being tested,
but it's it's it's very very promising.48:06
48 minutes, 6 seconds
They're
putting a lot of money into it, foundations and everything. One a one a
month pill prep that would prevent you and they want to get this going
all over48:14
48 minutes, 14 seconds
the world. And they think this could be this could control the HIV crisis in Africa.48:20
48 minutes, 20 seconds
Yes. Because the uh the preventive pills or shots or whatever work, but then48:26
48 minutes, 26 seconds
getting them widely distributed and you Yeah. It's either pills once a day or injections which are more cumbersome. Yes.48:34
48 minutes, 34 seconds
Governor
Shapiro in Pennsylvania signed a new law eliminating felony enhancement
for people with HIV who failed to disclose their status while engaging
in48:42
48 minutes, 42 seconds
prostitution.
And the the thing about this is it passed basically unanimously in in
the legislature and was sponsored by a Republican.48:52
48 minutes, 52 seconds
There you go. Measel's cases have hit a 35 year high.48:56
48 minutes, 56 seconds
You've heard about that. six dead of legionnaires on the upper east side here.49:01
49 minutes, 1 second
You
Oh, we didn't talk about your health. You survived the Legionnaires
crisis. You didn't even So far, you didn't leave. I had friends who left49:08
49 minutes, 8 seconds
and I had a friend who stayed at my house during that period in Chelsea.49:12
49 minutes, 12 seconds
Well, it's very hard to tell. Uh, you know, you have no Yes. And and they say, "Oh, you can shower, you can uh drink49:20
49 minutes, 20 seconds
water, you can do whatever, but then no, you shouldn't." Oh, I didn't hear that part. Yes.49:27
49 minutes, 27 seconds
because you get the mist of the water in a shower. So, I I don't think there's been enough attention paid to the fact49:33
49 minutes, 33 seconds
that Legionaires is now available for your It comes from It comes from air cooling things.49:41
49 minutes, 41 seconds
Towers, they say, cooling towers. I don't know if that's are those the uh units or something.49:47
49 minutes, 47 seconds
I
don't know. Oh, the HVAC systems maybe. I don't know. But uh so far,
they're not supposedly in my zip code. I have to cross-examine my
building.49:57
49 minutes, 57 seconds
Right.49:58
49 minutes, 58 seconds
All right. Some uh a little bit of what I saw in London. Yes.50:01
50 minutes, 1 second
Now, you know, it's funny. I I really love the movie Pride, 2014. It's about young gay activists uh in London in50:10
50 minutes, 10 seconds
1984.
Uh they raise money for striking minors who are being persecuted by
Margaret Thatcher. It's a such a stirring story. I watched it on the50:18
50 minutes, 18 seconds
plane
on the way home. I actually cry through the whole thing because it's
about that great period where we had such support for each other,
intersectionality, solidarity.50:27
50 minutes, 27 seconds
So
they they made a musical about it at the National Theater. It made me a
little nervous except that it was made by the people who made the movie
and50:35
50 minutes, 35 seconds
they
made a musical about it. Younger actors, of course. I mean, that movie
made a star out of a lot of people and had an all-star cast. So, I I
just50:43
50 minutes, 43 seconds
thought
it was terrific and it, you know, it's not running there now, but it's
it got such great reviews, not just for me, but the movie is fantastic.
You should see the movie Pride.50:53
50 minutes, 53 seconds
Pride. Yep. Uh Alda Stalton, Bill Nye, etc. Now, that old waror war is51:03
51 minutes, 3 seconds
[laughter]51:04
51 minutes, 4 seconds
is riding again at the National Theater.51:06
51 minutes, 6 seconds
Now, this is, you know, where the where the horse is a puppet. The horses are puppets in this thing. here at Lincoln Center,51:13
51 minutes, 13 seconds
Horses in World War I. And uh, you know, it was a very improbable hit 20 years ago and it really holds up. It's very51:21
51 minutes, 21 seconds
moving.
Most of the credit goes to the Handspring Puppet Company, which which
makes these horses move. It It's one of those things where I mean,51:29
51 minutes, 29 seconds
in the version I saw years ago, the original I guess, uh, you can't imagine that you would buy into it and yet you51:37
51 minutes, 37 seconds
do very immediately. Well, of course, in the book, uh, you know, the horses talked and dictate the story and they51:44
51 minutes, 44 seconds
said, "We're not going to do that for this. We're going to na nigh.51:48
51 minutes, 48 seconds
We're [laughter] we're going to show you." Well, I'm I'm kind of feel na na about um uh the the51:55
51 minutes, 55 seconds
missenthrop modern adaptation that they did at the national. Sandra O is starring. I love her. I love her. She52:02
52 minutes, 2 seconds
plays the lead. Um but it's based on Molier and you know uh as I said when52:10
52 minutes, 10 seconds
Molier wrote this he was challenging the aristocrats and hypocrisy and all this.52:15
52 minutes, 15 seconds
I
you know the the stakes are no longer as high much as our present day
hypocrisies need puncturing. But I just didn't think as a as a modern
story it worked that well.52:26
52 minutes, 26 seconds
But
it's coming to theaters on September 27th if you want to prove me
wrong. Is it farce like a lot of No, no, it's not a farce. It's a
comedy.52:36
52 minutes, 36 seconds
It's meant to be a comedy. Um but uh Okay.52:40
52 minutes, 40 seconds
She
has a her best friend is gay and it and she's very abusive to him. Uh
Simon Stone adapted the Arrestia. You know, this is by Escalus
three-part thing.52:49
52 minutes, 49 seconds
This
was a three and a half hour thing at the Bridge Theater run by Nick
Heitner, the gay guy who runs that. Two of my favorite actors, Mary
Louise52:57
52 minutes, 57 seconds
Parker as a character called Monty and David Moresy as her husband Christopher.53:02
53 minutes, 2 seconds
They're roughly modeled on Clyde Nester and Agabnan and an upper middle class family. But I it it's all performed in a53:09
53 minutes, 9 seconds
glass
box behind glass [snorts] and it it it just seemed like a kind of a
remove but it got a lot of five-star reviews as well. and just tripping53:18
53 minutes, 18 seconds
through
these pictures. I'm My reviews are on in gaycitynews.com and I'll link
to them and thing, but just flip through these pictures. They53:27
53 minutes, 27 seconds
did a comedy about Jan Garoover being gay. There's Brian Bat next. Um, this was wonderful. Took place in a care53:33
53 minutes, 33 seconds
home. Linda Basset uh for for from uh S call the midwife uh grace pervades. This53:42
53 minutes, 42 seconds
is Ray Fines playing um Henry Irving and a Midsummer Night stream at the open air theater where they totally messed up by53:51
53 minutes, 51 seconds
not having a beautiful bucolic setting53:54
53 minutes, 54 seconds
[laughter]53:55
53 minutes, 55 seconds
and having a bare stage. Yes. Oh yeah. In the park. No, you got to have that. Correct. Anyway.54:01
54 minutes, 1 second
Okay. Well, uh, it has, uh, the theme for the last, uh, year and a half almost has been has been my health and your54:09
54 minutes, 9 seconds
health. And I guess I just want as part of my parting thoughts, uh, reinforce the fact that people do need to, you54:18
54 minutes, 18 seconds
know,
respect yourself. Do you want to live? Uh, I do. And it came as a shock
to me to be diagnosed with breast cancer because it just hadn't
occurred to me.54:27
54 minutes, 27 seconds
It's
not that I expected to live forever, but to put some kind of potential
endpoint on it was a shocker to me. So, I had to grapple with that.54:36
54 minutes, 36 seconds
But I am in great shape. I am, as I've told you, been technically called cured, but I'm well aware that people have54:44
54 minutes, 44 seconds
recurrences and I am having a little surgery in a couple of weeks just to clean up stuff here, plastic surgery54:52
54 minutes, 52 seconds
basically. But uh but I am so grateful for all the fantastic care I've had at54:59
54 minutes, 59 seconds
Mount Si in New York. Uh great doctors, uh great care from all of them, and of55:06
55 minutes, 6 seconds
course friends and neighbors and everybody else who have been so loving and supportive. And I just really55:16
55 minutes, 16 seconds
encourage you all to get whatever tests you need to uh value yourself and your55:23
55 minutes, 23 seconds
life
and to be open about talking about it. You know, you were away. We
talked about Marne von Wilpert, my friend who's running for Congress in
California, was55:32
55 minutes, 32 seconds
just diagnosed with breast cancer. A very early minor stage, but running for Congress.55:37
55 minutes, 37 seconds
Running for Congress. But San Diego but uh she's been talking about it. She didn't conceal it as a candidate and55:45
55 minutes, 45 seconds
Nancy Pelosi said to her, "I'm so glad you're talking about it. That's so good." Uh, but really uh people will not55:54
55 minutes, 54 seconds
punish you for that or they certainly shouldn't. Um, and you can get such support and really enrich your life by56:02
56 minutes, 2 seconds
talking about what's going on with you on any basis. So, uh, please take care of yourselves.56:09
56 minutes, 9 seconds
Please don't postpone whatever test you need. Please continue to uh to be talk to other people who have or who56:17
56 minutes, 17 seconds
have similar conditions. Absolutely. To get advice. You certainly did that when you got your diagnosis.56:22
56 minutes, 22 seconds
And now I hear from new people who are being diagnosed. It really is rampant.56:26
56 minutes, 26 seconds
And
this kind of stuff kind of started pretty much with with breast cancer
and with ACTUP uh the patient centered stuff where patients took control
of things.56:36
56 minutes, 36 seconds
Right.56:37
56 minutes, 37 seconds
Well,
I think that was a major part. I would not say it started with ACTUP,
but certainly No, I'm saying breast cancer especially women. [clears
throat]56:45
56 minutes, 45 seconds
Well, it's interesting that breast cancer activists uh Susan G. Kman56:52
56 minutes, 52 seconds
Foundation, other people took a lesson from ACTUP about being activists and demanding better treatment. I I remember57:00
57 minutes
when
it was a you know big deal when Happy Rockefeller the wife of Nelson
Rockefeller the vice president and Betty Ford came out about this was
just not done in those days.57:10
57 minutes, 10 seconds
Well, it was also long before act up. Uh at any rate, I have uh I have been uh57:18
57 minutes, 18 seconds
taken care of in so many ways by doing this show and by you and you all your57:24
57 minutes, 24 seconds
help and affection over the years and uh I am not dying and I am not going away57:31
57 minutes, 31 seconds
but I am moving on at the moment and I so appreciate all of you and it's going to help me with the transition.57:38
57 minutes, 38 seconds
Of course I am.57:40
57 minutes, 40 seconds
Thank you. [laughter] of course but there will be many many people sitting in this seat and I wish them all57:47
57 minutes, 47 seconds
the greatest uh joy and luck and uh and success.57:52
57 minutes, 52 seconds
Thank you an pleasure 30 years and we're done.
Free Speech TV
64K subscribers
No comments:
Post a Comment